Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Water Bottling Plant in Hilo Proposed
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

Well Open d, What measures are you referring to? Please expand.

Proper trash management. Not using storm drains as trash cans, stop telling people that they are not responsible for their actions, recycling.

Your turn. What material(s) would you use if all plastics are banned as glinda proposes. Try to build an airliner without plastic, as in the insulation of the miles of wiring, your electronic equipment, appliances, vehicle interiors on and on.

Please identify the alternatives to plastic in the face of glinda's total ban.

Speaking Truth to Lies / Facts to Ignorance
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

Why don't you follow my lead and never litter.

That doesn't reduce the overall garbage created, it just organizes it more neatly, in fewer places.

That's 95% of the problem. I was watching a Dirtiest Jobs episode on YouTube yesterday in the City of LA about using big vacuum trucks to vacuum all the trash the human trash throws in the storm drains. People were video's using them like trash cans. Disgusting behaviour by disgusting people. That as to stop, AND the outfall from those drains has to be scoured some way for the trash the 2-legged trash throws in that doesn't get vacuumed out.

Let s/he without a plastic keyboard cast the next stone...

Perhaps there is some middle ground on which the use of plastic can be discussed? Somewhere between an outright ban of all plastic, and the wanton production of disposable packaging? Perhaps include in the conversation shelves at Wal-mart filled with colorful, breakable objects that sell for $.50 so you have to continuously buy more more more?

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
That's95% of the problem

Source?
Citation?

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:

That's95% of the problem

Source?
Citation?

That's my opinion. Getting the trash in landfills/dumps is the most important thing. It's the stuff that doesn't get there that is the problem.

If you are offering me a jet, perhaps a Gulfstream would be a better choice. Cessna Citations with their straight wings, are just too slow.

quote:

Let s/he without a plastic keyboard cast the next stone...

Perhaps there is some middle ground on which the use of plastic can be discussed? Somewhere between an outright ban of all plastic, and the wanton production of disposable packaging? Perhaps include in the conversation shelves at Wal-mart filled with colorful, breakable objects that sell for $.50 so you have to continuously buy more more more?

Welcome Aboard.

I have come to the conclusion that real time life threatening environmental issues are on our horizon. Pollution of all types is as much a by product of people themselves as the basic economic system in which pollutants are generated.

Capitalism is not compatible with environmental solutions. This is not an opinion I share with pleasure or enthusiasm. I base this opinion on simple analysis of the capitalistic system which asks no questions of human occupations/production except "Is it profitable?".

If we can add the question "Is it in the best environmental interest of a healthy planet?" of any and all manufactured products then the right to manufacture any crap we can make money with must change and that is not free enterprise.

I consider this to be a disturbing prospect but one which we will inevitably have to face or ignore. Personally I think we will fail at this and a down graded environment with all that entails is on our future.

This is one basis upon which I choose the Puna District of Hawaii for my home. I can't think of a better vantage point for watching the world devolve. Luckily for me I am getting old. I will provide for my kids here as best I can.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
The planet will be just fine. Bacteria is already evolving to eat plastic. Humans and familiar species, however, will probably suffer massively over the next few decades until science finds an efficient solution to our pollution.

We have such an overabundance of rainfall, it seems a pity we can't find a way to sell it. Maybe if it were transported in reusable 5 gallon jugs?
Difficult times ahead.

This water bottling operation may or may not be the point where we will start asking if more disposable plastic bottles are a benefit to the environment or not. Or is it merely profitable?

My guess is the operation will be approved with the appropriate kickbacks to our local governments.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Won't the primary market for this water be the mainland anyway? The plastic is their problem not ours. they have recycling plants to repurpose the bottles, We don't. Or never will.