Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No animal control services East side / very little West side
As of August 1 the Hawaii Island Humane Society no longer provides animal control services.  I don't know the back story but apparently they were not interested in renewing their county contract.  Instead, they are referring people to the new organization that is providing animal control services, however they do not have any footprint on the East side.

http://www.hihs.org/services/animal-control

Apparently the "Rainbow Rangers" who now have the contract does not have any formal web site for services but they do have a Facebook page where it describes the bizarre patchwork of interim animal control protection now available. https://www.facebook.com/HawaiiRainbowRangers

If you have no FB you can see the interim animal control protection procedures at the following link. In a nutshell, for serious animal problems call the police department. I'm sure their response will be robust and effective.

You can see it here: https://ibb.co/xSsXT7w

Found this on their FB, easier to read:

????? ?????? ??????! We are very excited to announce that Hawaii Rainbow Rangers has taken over the county contract to provide animal services for Hawaii County. From August 1 through November 1, we will be offering pared-down, interim services, as instructed by the county. Operations in the Kona shelter will be by appointment only. We will be sharing lots more info about HRR, our programs, and services soon. Thank you for your patience during this period of transition.

????????? ??????????? ????? ?????? ??????? ???????:
Dispatch phone: (808) 666-9589
Dispatch hours: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday through Friday - If you need assistance after-hours or on the weekends, please follow the directions on the recording and leave a message for the next business day. Please contact the Police Department at 935-3311 for animal-related off-hour emergencies.

???????? ???????? ?? ???????, ?/?/?? ??????? ??/?/??:
-intake of: lost animals; stray animals; abandoned animals; injured animals that are not part of a household
-dispatch of officers for: aggressive or vicious animals; cases of harm, injury, or abuse towards animals; cases of animals causing harm to other animals or to humans;
-we will also take reports of lost animals; offer limited spay/neuter services (our partner agencies will help fill this void); assist with dog licenses
-we will take calls for issues related to farmed animals including: domestic livestock violations relating to farmed animals on public roads, lawful fence, animal trespass, and stallions including horses, donkeys, goats, cows, sheep, and chickens

Please stay tuned for more information. We are glad to be of service to the Hawaii Island community!
Why, it's almost like paying the same taxes, but receiving fewer services!

I wonder whose bright idea that was?
Why, it's almost like paying the same taxes, but receiving fewer services!

It’s too bad the county didn’t receive a windfall in federal disaster dollars which they stated right up front wouldn’t all be used on lava disaster recovery (for example).  Money they could then use for east side animal control.  
So it’s a twofer kalakoa, same county AND federal taxes for no service.
It must be acceptable or people would sue, though it's probably much cheaper/easier to just move somewhere with real government and plenty jobs.
I am sure Humane Society got tired of all the politics . The non kill shelters said the could  do the job without putting down the animals we will see if they can without begging for more money.
So once again scr€w Puna
Stock answer applies: it must be acceptable or people would do something about the problem (roads, lack of commercial real estate, no services).
More info:

https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/202...-proposal/

https://www.westhawaiitoday.com/2020/06/...-contract/

"Though HIHS has made recent strides in reducing the county’s high euthanasia rates, dropping to 57% of the 11,912 animals received from July 1, 2018, to June 30, 2019, and 54% over the final six months of 2019, the issue remains significant."

The Rainbow Ranger's stated intention is to have no-kill shelters. What they plan to do with 6,500 additional animals per year remains unseen, but one has to wonder what the quality of "animal protection" services provided to the community would be like if the money is being siphoned off to animal warehousing. According to social media interactions the group is largely ran and supported by vegans and vegetarians and some people have voiced concerns they might focus their enforcement authority on food producers instead of feral and dangerous animals.
According to social media interactions the group is largely ran and supported by vegans and vegetarians and... the group... might focus their enforcement authority on food producers instead of feral and dangerous animals.

Locally grown conspiracy, not flown.  
I’m a vegetarian & if Rainbow Rangers have any impact on Big Island ranchers, I’ll eat a Loco Moco, then wander down Kilauea until I find a restaurant featuring Waimea grass fed hamburgers.  And order two.
In the past I have had a problem with stray cats where I was trapping them and taking them to the Humane Society, well most of them anyway. At the time it was my understanding that they would not leave there unless claimed or adopted and that sadly most were euthanized. I saw no alternative then and I still don't as I am unaware of any no-kill outfit that has successfully defied the laws of nature. They all are variations on the theme of trying to fit an inexhaustible supply of animals into a finite space or releasing them back outdoors. I think I stated then that if the option of dropping them off permanently went away in favor of "no kill" or TNR I would have to figure out some way to deal with the problem myself. I am sure I am not alone.

I don't see how anyone could consider this progress.