Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
pahoa roundabout protest
It's called "tough love", and it is not heartless, particularly if coupled with assistance to quit cigarettes, lose weight, etc. If such behaviors aren't changed they cost the person doing them and society...

It's also a way to preserve freedom of choice while not pushing the negative consequences onto others.
Well, OK, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. The tough-love system you propose would, in my opinion, push the deeply flawed health system we already have into one that belongs in a third-world country where only those that can afford health care will receive it.
The ideal solution is usually one that would work if imposed by a truly benevolent dictator. We are never going to have that. Doesn't stop people from talking though.
I'm not sure what you mean, MarkP. Perhaps you could explain a little more?
It is easy to say "no medical treatment for you till you get vaccinated" but who decides where and when and how much to withhold? Your parents who love and protect you can make that work because they will ultimately make sure everyone gets what they need and kids will ultimately accept their parents' authority. Give that kind of power to certain segments of society (conservative evangelicals maybe) and the bodies start to pile up, which by the way seems to be a feature not a bug.
Thanks for responding to my question, MarkP.
(08-27-2021, 09:16 AM)TomK Wrote: Well, OK, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. The tough-love system you propose would, in my opinion, push the deeply flawed health system we already have into one that belongs in a third-world country where only those that can afford health care will receive it.

Well, it would be possible to take the savings and reinvest them into healthcare to improve the system for everyone else. But I suppose it's just as likely the savings would be redirected to shareholders...

What if we had a public option that only covered people that didn't smoke, get DUIs, kept their BMI reasonable, and had their vaccinations all current?
just as likely the savings would be redirected to shareholders

This is guaranteed, because the shareholders are the only principals involved in the decision-making.

What if we had a public option

Impossible for the same reason given above.
“ What if we had a public option that only covered people that didn't smoke, get DUIs, kept their BMI reasonable, and had their vaccinations all current?”

Some insurance is going that way.
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!
people that didn't smoke, get DUIs, kept their BMI reasonable, and had their vaccinations all current?

If most people had a healthy lifestyle, medical costs would be significantly lower across the board, and a public option would be affordable.  For everyone.

But instead we have the freedom to eat crap & smoke toxic cigarettes.