Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peeved in Puna
Current and former Puna residents were dismayed to learn Hawaii County will not use federal funds to restore certain infrastructure destroyed by the 2018 Kilauea eruption.

https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/202...structure/

The county is receiving FEMA funds to replace 14.5 miles of waterlines. 1.5 miles of that waterline was bought and paid for by KKWA.
I don't understand how it's fair that the county is receiving funds to reimburse it for the loss of a water line that KKWA paid for. KKWA even had to pave our almost mile long Kapoho Kai drive before we could install the water line to county standards. It should be a warning to anyone who wants to help the county build out infrastructure !
I would imagine that part of the 'deal' with the Feds as to how to spend the HUD and FEMA monies is how to avoid this widespread disaster from happening again. To that end the buyout program is an attempt to take property out of the public's hands. Not restoring roads and not restoring water are other mechanisms to stymie any rebuilding now or potential building in the future.
1. Lack of roads and water will not keep people from living somewhere.
2. County is also not creating better options for those who prefer roads and water.

Maybe someone will sue, so we can waste lots of time and money getting before a State judge who will side with County against the best interests of the public.
Neither of those roads, Hinalo and Lauone are in Leilani. Also Malama and Hinalo never connected.
If ANY of that money comes to Puna it will go to that replacement housing subdivision scheme.
that replacement housing subdivision scheme

To be located in Kona for the protection of Puna residents -- can't have them losing their houses again, can we?
You mean the scheme that has recently filed for bankruptcy? With the units that were built years ago and have been just sunbathing ever since? The aptly named scheme that ripped off their investors in the Mariana Islands?

Don't hold your breath.
I think he's referring to the Shipman proposed subdivision, where the County would pay for all the infrastructure including the roads and water treatment facilities, and Shipman would give refugees first dibs on the (expensive) lots they sell.

Which one are you referring to AaronM, have a link?
Not referring to Shipman's "New Keaau" but the proposed subdivision of State land below HPP, behind the new police station. This would include full infrastructure so as to avoid "repeating the mistakes of the past". I don't remember who proposed it.
Aw shucks. I was thinking of the Lulana Gardens portion of the Aina Lea Inc. project.

Here's a small piece to get you started if you are so inclined -

https://www.environment-hawaii.org/?p=10347

(09-21-2021, 03:58 AM)kalakoa Wrote: Not referring to Shipman's "New Keaau" but the proposed subdivision of State land below HPP, behind the new police station. This would include full infrastructure so as to avoid "repeating the mistakes of the past". I don't remember who proposed it.

I always wondered when and how Beaches would meet HPP.