Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rainwater Is No Longer Safe to Drink
There be new tech on the filter front. We have two residences (one off grind, one on) with the Quantum systems. Cheaper (TCO) and more energy efficient than RO or typical UV. I’m any case better than simply using the 20 micron and 5 micron filters we only used before.

Lasts likely more than 10 years with our usage. I know nothing specific about effectiveness against the topic of this thread, admittedly, but will ask Todd about it next time I see him, and report if anyone is interested.

Does anyone have effectiveness info on same for RO and/or UV (of which there are a few levels of systems, if I understand correctly).

Available locally in Pahoa:

https://www.tiloscleanwater.com/about-us.html

And probably other places.

Cheers,
Kirt
(08-24-2022, 09:59 AM)kalianna Wrote: All of the articles used the term, "worldwide".  The ultimate source is indeed included in the original post.  Here's a direct link:

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.est.2c02765

Other posters in this thread who know more about these things than I do have suggested that the filters used in catchment systems should eliminate the plastic.  What's not clear about all of this?  What we all need to "do" is eliminate single-use plastic.

And in that article, it says:

"Nevertheless, based on the four PFAAs considered here, it is concluded that in many areas inhabited by humans the planetary boundary for PFAS has been exceeded based on the levels in rainwater, surface water and soil, with all of these media being widely contaminated above recently proposed guideline levels."

Now, I just did skim the article, but I don't think "many" equates to everywhere, which is why I'm asking if rainwater here is safe to drink. for instance, if the water here tests the same as those in Antarctica or the Tibetan Plateau, then I would agree there's a risk but those places only exceed the most stringent guidelines.

In other words, I'm trying to make this Hawaii-related which certainly wasn't how it started. And I agree eliminating single-use plastic is something that's needed, but Hawaii doing that on its own won't change much.
Upgraded to ( 20u - 5u carbon block - Clairify 12 ) a couple of years ago, have been drinking it (and cooking, washing dishes, bathing) with no issues whatsoever.

TCO is similar to UV, but without the power drain and yearly bulb replacement.

I did install a meter because the Clairify lifetime is rated in total gallons, not time. This has the side effect of being able to compare actual usage against a mainland water bill -- I finally have that answer for people who ask about my "utility bills".
I assume the TCO employs the quantum disinfection described on the linked website, the description of which sounds like techno-babble to me. Hadn't heard of it before. Sounds great if it works but frankly sounds too good to be true.
(08-25-2022, 03:42 PM)MarkP Wrote: I assume the TCO employs the quantum disinfection described on the linked website, the description of which sounds like techno-babble to me.  Hadn't heard of it before.  Sounds great if it works but frankly sounds too good to be true.

Yes. It claims to be good for 200,000 gallons. We use about 20,000 gallons per year (two years going). The system includes a meter to easily see how much water has been processed. Nothing is replaced for the life of the filter, and then the filter is replaced. No extra electricity beyond your pump.

(The 5 and 20 micron filters are still replaced as usual.)

The owner mentioned that they would get calls from properties with new wells who failed their safety tests with UV (2?) systems, and then always pass with the Quantum filter.

I have never tested our water and have no idea if the filter will actually last its lifetime. Especially off-grid coming from  nothing but the 5 and 20 micron filters, it seemed like a no brainer.

Of course, there is a non-zero chance that it a scam somehow, but I thought that many people have never heard of it, and information about new tech might be useful.

I believe Todd and his wife, Archer, (owners of Uncle Tilo's) are only focusing on the Quantum systems (and PH control education and Pack) over other plumbing tasks. The two quantum installs (and another earlier quick fix on the groundfos) were done to the highest standards and work ethic.

===

I shared the thread with Archer, and she replied regarding the PFAS...

"We don't know much about this at this time.  Currently, here on the island we must consider the on going eruption which impacts water quality in terms of it being acidic.  Keeping minerals in the tank provides protection on hardware and appliances.  We can not stress enough to add the Acid Rain Mineral Pack to the catchment which allows constant minerals."

Cheers,
Kirt
Thanks, Kirt. Very interesting. I'll check it out.
Certainty will be the death of us.