Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
MK controversy thread
At what point in time has ANY individual or group..

Ever since the occupation of Kahoolawe there has been resolution through negotiation. There is no resolution, baring violence perpetrated by the state, without it. If TMT were to reach out I am sure, positive, they would be listened to, would be respected. And a resolution reached. But as long as they place all their cards with an occupying regime there will be no TMT here.
I am sure, positive,

And who do they talk to? The new Mauna Kea Authority?  Or another person or committee representing all of the Hawaiian people? Even those in favor of the TMT, no strings attached?
"And a resolution reached. But as long as they place all their cards with an occupying regime there will be no TMT here.

No, no, no. 

Don't obfuscate the question with this occupying regime bullshit.

My question is specific to TMT. 

What does it take to get TMT built? 

I thought the protest was about the "desecration" of a "sacred place." 

So then, you're implying that there is a price that can be paid that makes this desecration of a sacred place palatable.

What would TMT have to offer, and then to whom, represented by whom, to make it happen?
“We are the first generation to feel the impact of climate change and the last generation that can do something about it.”

— Barack Obama
What would TMT have to offer, and then to whom, represented by whom, to make it happen?

Hell, I don't know. How about talking about what the Hawaiians want first?

I don't think you get it. But hey, I imagine you were formed in a haolecentric world, so why would you? Maybe join a halau, sidle up to a canoe club, walk in their shoes.. spend time on their lanais, learn their language. Try and grok what's going on here. Help a farmer harvest their taro, work in a poi factory. Support, applaud, become a part of the Hawaiian renaissance.. volunteer at a Hawaiian emergence school.

From here it sounds like you're trying to put a square peg in a round hole.. and still try as you might I doubt you'll get that to work.
Thanks, MyManao. Hard to argue with those who claim "this occupying regime" is bullshit and racism is not a large part of it. You either get it or you donʻt. Aloha.
"I don't think you get it. But hey, I imagine you were formed in a haolecentric world, so why would you? Maybe join a halau, sidle up to a canoe club, walk in their shoes.. spend time on their lanais, learn their language. Try and grok what's going on here. Help a farmer harvest their taro, work in a poi factory. Support, applaud, become a part of the Hawaiian renaissance.. volunteer at a Hawaiian emergence school."

It's you who does not get it.

To cast the dispersions as you have just cast is, well, quite telling. You might learn the outcome of the word ASS U ME.

Ironically, I can attest, under the pains and penalties of perjury, that each item you claim I should do, I have done. Including teaching at Kamehameha Schools for several years.

I also make a pretty damn good pot of poi every now and then!

"Thanks, MyManao. Hard to argue with those who claim "this occupying regime" is bullshit and racism is not a large part of it. You either get it or you donʻt. Aloha."

Unfortunately, neither one of you get it. 

Tell me, what do you think King Kalakaua would do? Try 'grok" on that.
“We are the first generation to feel the impact of climate change and the last generation that can do something about it.”

— Barack Obama
I also make a pretty damn good pot of poi every now and then!

Cool, good for you. So, since you're so well connected, ask Piilani what she thinks should be done.. ask the Aha Moku Advisory Committee.. I am sure you could find someone more versed than I. After all, I'm just another stupid haole, what would I know? At least other than to reach out to the other side and open a dialog.. which is textbook.. and something the State doesn't seem to understand..
"At least other than to reach out to the other side and open a dialog.. which is textbook.. and something the State doesn't seem to understand"

To state that the State has not reached out and opened a dialog, shows you really have no understanding in this matter.

"Cool, good for you. So, since you're so well connected..."

I am in no way connected. I am involved.

"After all, I'm just another stupid haole..."

Have you learned how to make poi? This stupid haole sure did! And with plenty of accolades from all walks of life! 

Will I see you at the Merrie Monarch Festival this year?

— Barack Obama
Have you learned how to make poi?

Funny, I guess you haven't been following my posts very long. I started my first taro farm in 1979. Built a house in Waipio Valley and raised a family there before I went on to document volcanic activity for 30 years. And now spend more time in the lo'i again than walking on lava.
My Manao,
If I understand your posts about the Hawaiians the TMT reps should talk with, it’s hula dancers, taro growers, poi pounders, etc, etc, etc.  The process doesn’t sound as simple as you originally suggested.  There might be hundreds, more likely thousands that need to be contacted.  What happens if they don’t all agree?