Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Hawaii Decarbonization Settlement 2045
(07-20-2024, 07:58 PM)ironyak Wrote: Maybe focus on what you do have control over, first and foremost your own actions?

Sorry, that requires self awareness.. something the dear lady seems to lack. But hey, there's always Hope..
(07-20-2024, 09:30 PM)MyManao Wrote:
(07-20-2024, 07:58 PM)ironyak Wrote: Maybe focus on what you do have control over, first and foremost your own actions?

Sorry, that requires self awareness.. something the dear lady seems to lack. But hey, there's always Hope..

I never thought that ironyak was a lady.

Go figure!

And you discussing self awareness is priceless!

At any event, if backyard gardens are the answer to feeding a world population of 8 billion plus, can anyone explain why China is the largest importer of American grown crops?
if backyard gardens are the answer to feeding a world population of 8 billion plus

It’s not necessary to grow 100% of your food to have an impact.  10% is better than 0%.
Everybody can grow sprouts on their kitchen counter, water them in the sink.  If they want to.
I grow many types of sprouts throughout the year, and load up the salads with them.
Brussel sprouts? If so, you have a client.
HiloJulie - At any event, you have proven to me that you’re the epitome of living a carbon zero lifestyle, except for the times you don’t. But then that’s OK, because it’s you.

And again, all you contribute is to try and put words in someone's mouth and then attack the little strawman you made as if this means anything. Seems like a sad, silly way to engage with the world, but you do you.

I don't live a "carbon zero" lifestyle and never claimed to. Almost no one in the world can actually do so, but there are enormous differences between an average Kenyan's <0.1ton CO2 annual emission lifestyle and an average American's ~15ton CO2 annual emission lifestyle. This constant resorting to black & white, all or nothing, self-serving equivocations is just more mental gymnastics to avoid dealing with unpleasant truths. But when even uncontacted tribes in the Amazon are crossing paths with loggers in the area, it should be clear that the reality of climate change isn't going to leave anyone untouched.

Much of this thread is just me repeating what science has been saying for 50+ years and, with others, noting that one can lead a simple and fulfilling, yet low-carbon lifestyle, especially here in Puna. Much of the other back and forth appears just to be histrionics - maybe take up a hobby? find community? give your new life some purpose other than attention seeking on PW?

HOTPE - It’s a long story, but here are a few details along the way:...

Thanks for the backstory and details! Are the ponds used for tilapia or other aquaculture? Curious as to how that nutrient source is being regenerated. Also, curious if you stick to a 2 or 3 season cycle or just kinda year round staggering as things grow.

For raised beds, what we've settled out on is after the initial buildout, the next raised bed is made from prying up the lava rock in the area to gain some depth, then use those rocks to ring the bed for height, and then use that space as the compost area to generate the soil via the "lasagna" method. So the bed gets the alternate brown/green layers via branches, paperboard, veggie scraps, egg shells,  yard wastes, goat poop, etc for whatever time it takes to fill, and then lightly top with some soil/cinders as desired, a cover crop (more on that in a sec), and some paperboard with grass clippings for mulch and then start the next bed to repeat the process.

Has worked well for us even with thin soils to keep expanding using local sustainable materials at little to no cost and by spreading the effort out over time. While the wheelbarrow workout keeps one from needing a gym membership, treating it as a marathon rather than a sprint is far preferable IMHO!

kalianna - Now youʻre talking my language.
Lots of good stuff there - the powdered milk was new to me. In looking into it, are you using mostly as an soil amendment or to address issues like mildew or blossom end rot?

I'll admit I'm not as caring towards the garden plants are you clearly are. More of a tough love, select for those plants that take to the environment with no special inputs or care. Want those scrappy & feral genetics that tolerate swings in temperature and rainfall (as is becoming more common), and will reseed themselves, invade other beds, try to escape the garden, etc... Doesn't always give the best yields but does help find some strains that are pretty resilient and self sufficient (Kales that last multiple years, bell peppers that reseed and hold their own against bugs & weeds, etc).

The one Hawaii-specific trick we had to learn is planting Kai Choi/Mustard Cabbage as a companion plant or a cover plant to make green mulch to help with nematode control. Not sure if it's acting as a sacrifice plant or chemical deterrent but it definitely helps and seems better suited to our neck of the woods than marigolds. Plus who doesn't love a never ending supply of highly spicy leafy greens, or heavily boiled green mush? (yes, I know it can be made into a beloved local rice garnish, and added to soups, and such - just never found a form of Kai Choi I couldn't say no to :)

Gardening is such a fascinating activity that can be done in a low-to-no carbon manner and improves the health and well-being of oneself, the land on which one lives, and the community in which one participates. Thanks again for sharing what's working for you all!
Hawaii County to the rescue of the backyard garden:

Oh, wait…

https://www.civilbeat.org/2024/07/is-gro...y-says-no/
The milk was to add calcium and stop blossom end rot. A mute point now, as something devoured all of my big beautiful green tomatoes. Itʻs the insects that really do me in, neem oil notwithstanding. I did the scoop the rocks out, line the bed with the rocks and add soil thing but the bugs usually win. Iʻve been fighting the need to get a small greenhouse but it may be time. Iʻve had the best success with small beds 4ʻ off the ground. Lots of bell peppers, basil, parsley and lettuce. Tomatoes are just setting fruit now. And sweet potatoes in the ground all over the yard. Theyʻre my armageddon crop. Thanks for the mustard cabbage idea.
Certainty will be the death of us.
kalianna -  A mute point now, as something devoured all of my big beautiful green tomatoes.

Sorry about your tomatoes. We gave up on anything larger than a cherry tomato after too many of those experiences / being forced to go with fried green tomatoes to at least get something out of that batch. But a nice big warm, ripe tomato out of the garden is a definitely a piece of mainland gardening nostalgia, so good luck with keeping up the good fight to capture that unicorn here! :)

HiloJulie - Hawaii County to the rescue of the backyard garden: Oh, wait…
https://www.civilbeat.org/2024/07/is-gro...y-says-no/

Colonizing culture undermines a native culture's means to support themselves because it can't make a buck on it? Quelle surprise!

Looks like it hasn't been finalized yet, and there may be some legal options, but sure County, let's go after people's ability to feed themselves and their communities while the Big Island has the highest food insecurity in the state. Great priorities Council - true Aloha spirit.

More people growing more food locally means better community health and resilience. The struggle goes on, because it must.
A new narrow body Airbus is about to enter service to Hawaii.

The good news:
* 30% reduction in fuel use
* can serve smaller airports so more direct flights (Hilo?)

The bad news:
* economy seats may be a can of sardines
* you are still burning 70% more fuel than if you didn’t fly
* if more routes are opened, will there be a net gain or loss of fuel burned?

The A321XLR’s efficiency translates to significant economic benefits for Airlines and environmental benefits through less fuel consumed. With the promised 30% reduction in fuel burn, airlines can operate more sustainably and economically. This efficiency is crucial for their maintaining Hawaii as an attractive yet profitable destination while simultaneously addressing some of the environmental impacts of increased Hawaii tourism.
https://beatofhawaii.com/uncomfortable-h...ification/
HOTPE - https://beatofhawaii.com/uncomfortable-h...ification/

Of note on the efficiency math from the article: "The new plane promises to deliver an amazing 30% reduction in per seat fuel burn compared to previous generation planes." (emphasis mine)

Will look at engine specs later, but lots of gains to be had by providing no seats (standing room only gives infinite per-seat efficiency gains ;) or stacking passengers like cord wood in narrow bunks. Maybe chain them there for their safety and jettison any who expire overboard to save on fuel. You can ching, ching, ching, cash-in with these cold hard calculations.

Maybe Jevons paradox can be broken by making the gains in efficiency so unpleasant that no one chooses them? ;)

Unraveling the Complexity of the Jevons Paradox - "During phases in which society is limited by external constraints" ... "the implications of the Jevons Paradox will be different: society will have to negotiate new definitions of desirability through cultural and political adjustments (a new acceptable standard of living)."

ETA: Looks like the engine is about 15-20% more efficient, so the total gains are about 1/2 in fuel reduction and 1/2 in denser seating. Have to wait and see if the efficiency gains lead to more Hawaii flights that cancels out any reduction in total emissions or if the unpleasantness of the experience is enough to keep that usual feedback loop in check.