Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Question for Rob on current PunaWeb hopes & expectations
the latest chapter in a conversation that goes back a decade, at least..

Yep, seems like it was yesterday we were discussing the toxicity of carbonized asphalt..

You know, back in 1990, while Kalapana Gardens was being inundated County pulled out some bush everyone bordered their yards with because they believe it's smoke is toxic.. I want to say it was hydrangea but that doesn't sound just right, but some kind of flowery bush like that. And no they never think of the toxicity of the roads and the buildings. But damn they were pulling those bushes..
Oleander?
Certainty will be the death of us.
(08-01-2024, 06:02 AM)kalianna Wrote: Oleander?

Yeah I think so.. there was a lot of it in the Gardens.. Country pulled it all out, hauled it away in dump trucks.
(07-31-2024, 09:58 PM)randomq Wrote: Sorry, I'm lost. Is this the bicker thread?

No, not really. MyManao posted that he had a book and that we should read it. Unfortunately, he didn't give any details about the book, e.g., the title or ISBN, so I asked if he could provide that information. So far, it's just a simple request to provide the information required to read said book.

ironyak says I know the book, but I don't know if I do. Perhaps ironyak will finally tell us the book title and ISBN? Now you've said you know what book it is, at least tell us the title. Why is there so much reluctance to put that information out there?

There was a book with photos by MyManao. I can't remember what it was called, but perhaps he authored a different book? After all, he calls it "his" book. So what I think you're seeing is a dishonest person making claims to make himself look more important than he is, and even if he makes a genuine claim, he won't support it with facts.
(08-01-2024, 05:28 AM)MyManao Wrote: You know, back in 1990, while Kalapana Gardens was being inundated County pulled out some bush everyone bordered their yards with because they believe it's smoke is toxic.. I want to say it was hydrangea but that doesn't sound just right, but some kind of flowery bush like that. And no they never think of the toxicity of the roads and the buildings. But damn they were pulling those bushes..

(08-01-2024, 06:02 AM)kalianna Wrote: Oleander?

It was not a question of the County "believing" that the smoke from the huge amount of oleander that was present, it's because oleander IS a deadly poison - every aspect of it is - including burning it and the resulting smoke.

Not much one can do to stop the roads and houses from burning during a lava flow, but ripping out a highly poisonous prolifically growing bush was a very wise decision.

https://missouripoisoncenter.org/oleande...upplement/
What if we all had to use our real names? Would we be more civil to one another?
I'd love to read the book. Whatever the title is.

The author of the book is contributing to this thread, so he could discuss it if he wanted to.  He has in the past.  I’m sure everyone has their reasons for posting or not posting about it - - I remember prior discussions but can’t recall the name of the book(s?).  If I did, I probably wouldn’t write about it though as the title would also reveal the contributors name.  He’s reading this thread and could certainly talk about it if he wanted to.  If I did know the title I would leave that reveal up to him.
randomq - What if we all had to use our real names? Would we be more civil to one another?
That's been an open question for a long time in online communities. Folding some of these discussions back into each other, Steward Brand's The Well, one of the first large online communities, has always had a real name policy. Given the potential impact to one's reputation, including professional reputation, using real names may temper some of the worse impulses for flame wars and trolling, but it hasn't avoided "the unavoidable drama of human relationships" as they put it.

On the otherhand, given the potential for online arguments spilling over into real world violence, such as accosting people at their homes and jobs, or even incidents of fatal swatting, there are some good reasons for using anonymous handles to obscure personal details. Personally, I'd take some online incivility over every punatic having each other's home address as some of y'all are even more crazy than me! ;)

HiloJulie - In as much as I have never met Tom, Obie or MyMano, I know who Tom and MyMano are.
You know who they are, but don't know their published works? Sounds like a piss-poor research effort. Try harder.

TomK - ironyak says I know the book, but I don't know if I do.
Keep playing dumb Tom, you're a natural.

MyManao - Yep, seems like it was yesterday we were discussing the toxicity of carbonized asphalt.
Yeah, still not a fan of people being exposed to burning asphalt, even if to take amazing pictures of it. ;) Have to say the image of the initial encroachment of lava into Harry K. Brown park still hits hard. Spent many summers passing that sign to cross between the beach and the outdoor showers, or when heading up to Walter's to grab a couple red hot dogs. Old Kalapana really was an amazing place and community, so thank you for capturing so much of what made it special while it was still here!

When Malika was kind enough to ask Civil Defense about the problem of burning asphalt during a 2014 presser, and they said that they "may" bring in some air monitors, it became clear that Oliveira, and later Magno, wasn't going to bring the same level of care and attention to CD that Harry Kim did, and that prevention wasn't an option as it would interfere with getting the insurance and FEMA dollars. Eye opening, but highly informative for how we as a community approached the 2018 lava flow, and rolled our own solutions on information gathering and community support.

As part of that decade-plus long conversation, I was more considering the return of Mauna Kea protests and how many were forced to realize that they weren't immune from history and the privileges they enjoyed were about to be swept away by larger forces. It seems those events and the reactions to them still frames much of the discussion as some haven't made peace with the new reality.

Change is inevitable, embrace and adapt to reality, and when at a Walter's, be sure to ask him "to make me one with everything" :)
(08-01-2024, 06:15 PM)ironyak Wrote: HiloJulie - In as much as I have never met Tom, Obie or MyMano, I know who Tom and MyMano are.
You know who they are, but don't know their published works? Sounds like a piss-poor research effort. Try harder.

Again, you strike out! You sure are a piss poor batter!

I am aware of and have read 3 books where the person in question is credited as an author and/or photographer. 

Having said that, I am unaware of any “dedication” written by the person in question. It has been over a decade since I read those books, so perhaps my memory has faded, or it was such an inconsequential dedication that I just didn’t remember it. Further, if the person in question doesn’t want his/her identity revealed, then perhaps maybe not brag about the books they may have written. 

As for burning asphalt and homes in a lava zone the best way to combat that would have been to have no roads or houses in the way of an inevitable lava flow in the first place. And remember, Harry Kim once got hundreds of people to physically move a church. But in 2018, the owners of properties full of garbage and especially old tires were to damn lazy to move all that garbage out before the lava hit.
(08-01-2024, 07:27 PM)HiloJulie Wrote: And remember, Harry Kim once got hundreds of people to physically move a church...

Harry did what?

Sure, bots, and you're a cheaper model, can grep data, scrub sites for words, pics, but damn they fail at understanding what they've collected, they have no idea of what happened in between those words, in all the moments unreported, or captured..

Harry was adamantly against the moving of the church.

But you don't care, as long as you can make up nonsense, can dominate, can shit on every conversation, why would you care?