Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Local Currency?
Would anyone be interested in forming a cooperative that advocated a local currency?

Please do a little research in how effective local currencies can be for building community. There are large numbers of groups around the world that have been very successful in creating and using local currency, and with the freeware computer software that exists--like this website: http://project.cyclos.org/--use of a local currency is no more complicated than using any other debit card. A local currency is always created on sensible and sustainable terms, requires that capital stays within a community, and strongly encourages real local economic activity. I'd be very keenly interested in putting such a program together, and would be more than willing to work for local credits.

Think about it. There is hardly a more effective way for a community to in a real manner create real community sustainability or sovereignty than being in firm control of its own currency. This would be a huge step for a better future if we could put it together.

Here is more info, if it's helpful.
[url]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_Excha...ng_Systems[/url]

If we get ten people to pledge on--let's meet and roll on this. Someone has to make the first step, and that's always a bit of a leap of faith.
Isn't there already a local currency? I thought I read about Hawaiian money...is it just a souvenier kinda thing?

HERE IT IS...I found it: http://www.hawaiidala.com/announce/dalacert_1.html

Carrie Rojo

"Every area of trouble gives out a ray of hope; and the one unchangeable certainty is that nothing is certain or unchangeable."
-- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
LOL

I am pretty sure this is the local currency...

Currancy

and if thats not it, you can use...

Hawaiian Currency

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security
Benjamin Franklin
-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii
ROFLOL, Jon!! The truth is always funnier, yeah?[Big Grin]

Carrie Rojo

"Every area of trouble gives out a ray of hope; and the one unchangeable certainty is that nothing is certain or unchangeable."
-- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
Unfortunately, the dollar ain't worth a dime...87 yen and counting down. Weed might actually give you more bang for than your buck.

“The superior man can see a question from all sides without bias. The small man is biased and can see a question only from one side.”--Confucius
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
your are right its worth 10 dimes... and seems to be doing just fine paying my bills and putting food on my table....

Maybe you need to try to use Yen at Safeway...

quote:
Originally posted by punafish

Unfortunately, the dollar ain't worth a dime...87 yen and counting down. Weed might actually give you more bang for than your buck.

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security
Benjamin Franklin
On, and just think, as the Dollar goes down, that means more Tourism for Hawaii... But than that would be looking at the bright side of things... and we can't have that... not until Jan 21st... Than all will be well. (Except was was not all that bad to begin with.)

Benjamin Franklin
I'm always looking at the bright side of life, actually benefiting from the current yen rate. Got no ax to grind or political agenda...just like to keep an open mind rather than lock myself into any political dogma. LOL

Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
I think this would be a fantastic idea. Is it also free of excise tax? My only concern is how does one that is retired or not able to do physical work acumilate credits?

quote:
Originally posted by JWFITZ

Would anyone be interested in forming a cooperative that advocated a local currency?

Please do a little research in how effective local currencies can be for building community. There are large numbers of groups around the world that have been very successful in creating and using local currency, and with the freeware computer software that exists--like this website: http://project.cyclos.org/--use of a local currency is no more complicated than using any other debit card. A local currency is always created on sensible and sustainable terms, requires that capital stays within a community, and strongly encourages real local economic activity. I'd be very keenly interested in putting such a program together, and would be more than willing to work for local credits.

Think about it. There is hardly a more effective way for a community to in a real manner create real community sustainability or sovereignty than being in firm control of its own currency. This would be a huge step for a better future if we could put it together.

Here is more info, if it's helpful.
[url]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_Excha...ng_Systems[/url]

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
Maybe they could raise veggies, Baby sit, sew, crochet, build furniture. The possibilities are endless.

Prior to the New Deal, the idea of being a slacker at any age was a foreign concept.

Old folks have a lot of experience and are valuable to the family in myriad ways.