Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Odd incident on Kaloli Drive this evening
I was driving back home from Keaau this evening on Kaloli Drive (HPP) between 5th and 6th street when I saw the headlights of a car coming towards me suddenly veer into my lane. I slowed down to a crawl and then another car following that car did the same. I carried on and then came across a guy walking almost right in the middle of the street. Dark clothing, leather jacket, sunglasses on and a cap. This was just before 6:30pm and of course quite dark.

I passed him, pulled into a side street and called 911 and told the dispatcher there was someone walking up the middle of Kaloli and stood a good chance of being killed. After that I drove back down and on seeing the guy still in the road and apparently oblivious to anything going on around him pulled into another side street. Did this another couple of times, basically hoping to make sure I could warn drivers there was someone in the street (I'd put my hazards on when I saw cars coming plus flashed my headlights).

It might have been a good idea for me to try and communicate with the guy walking on the road, but he seemed so oblivious to everything I just didn't feel safe doing so.

Anyway, half an hour later he had made it safely onto Beach Road so decided to go home then because although that road is pretty dark, cars tend to drive more slowly there and there are far fewer of them. No cops turned up unfortunately but I do understand the situation here; they were likely stretched and had higher priorities. But I couldn't help thinking if a driver had hit him then that would have been a pretty tragic changing point in the driver's life (and, of course, the guy walking in the middle of the road).

Anyway, thought I'd share just share and if anyone has suggestions as to what I could have done better, I'm all ears.

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread
Odd incident on Kaloli Drive this evening - by TomK - 01-05-2013, 05:27 PM
RE: Odd incident on Kaloli Drive this evening - by Guest - 01-06-2013, 11:40 AM
RE: Odd incident on Kaloli Drive this evening - by taropatch - 01-06-2013, 03:50 PM