Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Anyone Else on PunaWeb Sick of This?
Responding is a judgment call. If you think there's some chance you could be friends with the person, then answering a reasonable criticism is about the only way to look for middle ground.

Re the complaints about people like me who don't stick to the letter of the topic here, I had an idea a couple months ago, which I'll put out there as something to bat around.

Some people here want to discuss an issue. Some people want to talk story about life on the island. The strictly on topic people get restive with the talk story folks.

Talk story is a huge part of the culture here. If we weren't on a forum, and were sitting on a lanai, I bet not too many people would flip out if someone went off on a tangent.

What about a Puna Talk Story forum, where people could chat casually and not get chastised for engaging in free association? A forum where there would be a civility rule. Be nice. Don't go off on people. If you feel mean and snarky, just don't say anything. If you bite someone's head off, you get a warning. Three warnings and you're banned from that forum.

I think it would be nice to have a forum where it's safe to simply socialize and talk about personal stuff, be silly, have fun. I sense that people miss that.

The existing Punatalk (or whatever the name) would be for the strict exchange of information and ideas, where ideologies may clash, and personalities may collide a bit, and people endeavor to stay on topic.

I know there are some who wouldn't believe it of me, but in forums that are dedicated to certain hobbies, I am one of the most on topic people, and I get totally annoyed when people go all over the map. I've always seen Punaweb as more like a living room, and that's why I would share anecdotes. It's become clear to me that some people want Punaweb topics to be very linear. I can understand that, although not the rudeness.

But maybe there could also be a place for non-linear conversations.

Just an idea in rough form.
ETA -- no worries, I don't have any desire for a forum to talk a lot of personal stories of my own at this point. Too much water under the bridge. I'm thinking of what might be nice for the people in the community who want a snark free insult free zone where they can discuss stuff without worrying if it's important to the people who want to discuss big news and big ideas.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Anyone Else on PunaWeb Sick of This? - by missydog1 - 04-16-2011, 12:24 PM
RE: Is Anyone Else on PunaWeb Sick of This? - by missydog1 - 04-16-2011, 04:04 PM
RE: Is Anyone Else on PunaWeb Sick of This? - by missydog1 - 04-18-2011, 08:33 AM
RE: Is Anyone Else on PunaWeb Sick of This? - by missydog1 - 04-18-2011, 09:51 AM
RE: Is Anyone Else on PunaWeb Sick of This? - by missydog1 - 04-18-2011, 10:42 AM
RE: Is Anyone Else on PunaWeb Sick of This? - by missydog1 - 04-18-2011, 04:50 PM