Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parrot lore of Puna & east side Big Island Hawaii
We would indeed be fortunate to have the benefit of a working visit by Dr. Scott Ford here in Puna. I'd be glad to do my part with playing tour guide for him during his R&R downtime. I attended an all-day TABC workshop in Anchorage which he presented and was very impressed. There is a possibility he may remember me as the guy who kept asking so many questions; he finally paused and said "You must have grown up on a farm" (which is accurate) during the section of his slideshow featuring prolapse issues, when I asked about whether or not packing a prolapsed rectum (technically a cloaca, in birds; this is sometimes a problem for egg-laying hens, as with larger mammalian farm animals) with sugar would be useful in parrots if no professional care is available. The answer, btw, was "yes" -when the everted cloaca is sugar-coated and gently reinserted the sugar can absorb excess fluids and so help prevent another prolapse.

If Dr. Ford is willing to come and present the same slideshow and Q&A he gave in Anchorage at a venue in Hilo or Puna then I'd bet the event would be very well attended, given folks here with parrots knew well in advance that he would be speaking on the topic. Facilitating and advertising this sort of public function is the sort of service a Big Island version of TABC could be very useful in performing.

Looking forward to meeting you & your flock in person after your relocation from beautiful Juneau to beautiful Puna, Dayna!

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

MSP's wingsuit segment from "Seven Sunny Days"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0tU3Hy7et8&feature=related

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

Astonishing skill! This archer is a real-life Legolas and then some!
http://geekologie.com/2013/11/real-life-...rs-anc.php

Messages In This Thread
RE: Parrot lore of Puna & east side Big Island Hawaii - by AlohaSteven - 11-14-2011, 02:10 PM