Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fight for Non-GMO Foods and Proper GMO Labeling
Thank you, I think.

I am against the terminator gene because of its very high potential to end the sustainability of specific plant species as a whole. Corn, for example. Yes, it sucks that it can cross pollinate with other species, thereby essentially creating a monoculture, but that is better than the alternative of cross pollinating with other species and then ending the viability of all the seeds it creates. The terminator gene is not designed to 'protect' other crops from cross pollination. Monsanto loves for that to happen, they profit. Then they can go in and claim 'ownership' of the entire crop and shut the process down or collect the income from it.

On the contrary, the terminator gene was created so that farmers would have to return every year to Monsanto for their seeds. In the not so distant past, farmers would always save a portion of their crop to replant, or harvest the seeds for the next round. Not so much these days. Monsanto ensures that everyone who does business with them has to continue to come to them for each new crop. They have bought out major seed companies, and continue to systematically eliminate competition and alternatives to their GMOs, either by starting lawsuits that farmers can't afford to fight, buying out farmers, seed companies, now research firms...

I know it's hard to wrap the mind around, it's completely diabolical, and I want to not believe it with every fiber of my being too, but I can't, their own tactics are impossible to deny.

Melissa Fletcher
"Make yurts, not war" Bill Coperthwaite, 1973

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fight for Non-GMO Foods and Proper GMO Labeling - by YurtGirl - 09-25-2012, 02:08 PM
RE: Fight for Non-GMO Foods and Proper GMO Labeling - by dmbwest - 10-11-2012, 03:09 PM