Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fight for Non-GMO Foods and Proper GMO Labeling
GMO papaya has saved the local industry. Hawaiian papaya farmers are extremely hard workers who, as usual, do not make a high living doing what they do. There are not that many things that thrive in a freshly ripped lava field. Papaya do.

The GMO Rainbow papaya which are resistant to the ringspot virus were developed by the College of Tropical Agriculture at UH (I believe, correct me if I am wrong).

Monsanto, and I assume some others, have been empowered by a Supreme Court decision some years ago that, for the first time, allow living organisms to be patented. Such a decision may have been pro business but it was in my opinion a huge mistake.

The example of the Rainbow Payapa is the way GMO should proceed. Cooperative efforts between a university and the agricultural community. How do we get back to that model? I don't know.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fight for Non-GMO Foods and Proper GMO Labeling - by Rob Tucker - 10-05-2012, 09:16 AM
RE: Fight for Non-GMO Foods and Proper GMO Labeling - by dmbwest - 10-11-2012, 03:09 PM