Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm happy to put something positive on Punatalk!
Aloha afw!

(Will preface my words by saying to Rob Tucker, that I'll try very hard to tie this to Puna at the end.)

Check your history, my friend. Anyone who knows anything about Japan will tell you it's a Confucian society from top to bottom, as Japan's very own Prince Shotoku in the early 7th century consciously and deliberately imported it from China. (He loved the notion of the "mandate of heaven" because, surprise, surprise, it fit his political agenda.) Confucianism was eventually encoded into Bushido, the way of the warrior.

But I agree that most Japanese policemen don't throw their weight around...most of the time. That's because they don't have to, as Japanese are extremely deferential to authority. (And yes you are correct that Japan is also a shame culture.) I've had great experiences with Japanese policemen. But I've also seen them get very authoritarian very quickly. For a great introduction to Japanese Confucianism, read Confucius Lives Next Door by T.R. Reid. Also try Jake Adelstein's book, "Tokyo Vice" and Robert Whiting's "American Gangster in Japan". (Actually anything by Whiting is great.) And for drier more detailed stuff, try Ruth Benedict's "Chrysanthemum and the Sword", Takie Lebra's "Japanese Patterns of Behavior", and anything by Edwin Reischauer for detailed history.

(By the way, I spent 10 years in Japan, graduated from a Japanese university with a degree in cultural anthropology specializing in Japanese culture. I read, write and speak the language fluently. Also co-authored a book in Japanese about cultural differences in the workplace between Japan and the West.)

What does this have to do with Puna?

1) Understanding Japanese culture will give the reader a glimpse at some of the values that took hold here in Hawaii, especially among the local Japanese population, although admittedly the values have been diluted and adapted.

2) I'd love to see the Police Box system introduced here within the framework of our laws and culture, preferably smack dab in the middle of our future roundabouts. Wink Just a fanciful wish...

3) Sure wish our police force here in Hawaii had the same manpower and resources as their Japanese counterparts.

Hope that works for you Rob. If not, my apologies.
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius

Messages In This Thread
RE: I'm happy to put something positive on Punatalk! - by punafish - 08-21-2013, 01:28 PM
RE: I'm happy to put something positive on Punatalk! - by dmbwest - 08-23-2013, 08:00 PM
RE: I'm happy to put something positive on Punatalk! - by dmbwest - 08-24-2013, 07:33 PM