Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two Vets Say the Vog Could be Harming My Dog
I have asthma from the vog and the humidity. Looking back, probably had asthma before we moved here, but it is really bad now and I was diagnosed here. The asthma dr. said there is DEFINITELY a higher incidence of asthma and lung problems on the Hilo side (he also has offices in Kona and Oahu). He suggested closing the windows at night and keeping fans going - night air is heavier and full of moisture and the lungs can't take in enough air bc it's being used up by moisture. (he said on the Kona side, OPEN the windows at night) It often presents as major chest pains, like heart problems, but they were ruled out after tests. The rescue inhaler and steroid inhaler helped but didn't get me over the hump. He asked how often I had acid reflux. I said when DON'T I have it? He put me on OTC omeprazole (prilosec generic) and nasal spray. TOTALLY fixed the problem. I have a friend here with asthma, too, and she also gets chest pains from it, and she didn't have any problem before moving here. I know the vog and/or humidity is bad when I start to cough at night. It feels like my lungs are full of dust or other particulate. I then realize I have slacked off on the steroid inhaler. Long story, sorry, but the humidity and vog are TERRIBLE for people - and pets - with respiratory issues. I have put an AC unit in my office and it has helped tremendously bc it cleans out the air of particulates and moisture.

Also, since diagnosis, I've come across like 20 or 30 other people with the same issues. I also have a friend who has lived here his whole life and has asthma. He suffers greatly and has been hospitalized and has lots of advice - drink warm beverages, stay hydrated, etc. Vog and humidity are no good for people with any kind of COPD or asthma.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Two Vets Say the Vog Could be Harming My Dog - by DTisme - 09-15-2013, 11:14 AM