Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lightning links wanted as the thunder rumbles
Radiopeg - I suspect tis isn't what you're after but personal lightning detectors can be bought for less than $100. They give provide an approximate distance from the lightning and will tell you if the storm is moving your way or not. For several hundred dollars you can buy a system which will map the lightning (which is what you are asking for I think).

I will drop the MKWC forecaster a line as he may know if there are other options and will let you know but suspect there just isn't anything available to the general public for the Big Island, which would be a shame if that's the case (but Midnight Rambler's comment is quite pertinent). Just FYI, my father was a meteorologist and one of his tasks was tracking lightning. I used to go to work with him at the weekends when I was a small kid and was fascinated by the stuff he did even though he thought it was boring. He worked at an experimental meteorological site in the UK and those visits were the main reason I became interested in science. I wish I had pictures of those visits but did find this on google:

http://www.bom.gov.au/qld/townsville/ima...cs_650.jpg

That's actually from Australia, but the equipment is exactly the same as my father used, and fascinated me so much and as young boy!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lightning links wanted as the thunder rumbles - by TomK - 12-29-2013, 06:24 PM