Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pec slapping at Kaloli Point
Great story Tom, Thank you for sharing. It reminded me of a close in counter my wife and I had in Maui as well.

My friend owned a small boat on Maui and had invited my wife and I out. I brought free dive gear thinking maybe I would get a chance, Well that materialized as soon as we saw 3 or 4 whales less than 100 yards out. My friend killed the motor so we did not scare or harm them, the sounds were incredible. About enough time had gone by for me to chug a beer and put my fins on and in I went. I swam maybe 60 yards from the boat and then remained still, just looking through the deep crystal clear diamond shining water. That's about the time I noticed a cluster of clams or barnacles you may see on coral heads below me, Then the greyish matter seemed to get closer than 10 feet away when I realized this was a whales tail I was seeing just below me. The movement of the whale could be felt like a current against me. That's when I could then make out 3 of these incredibly large mammals below me and through my snorkel I did my best imulations of what I heard. The interaction was so intense for well over a minute as I swam just over there back ends for some distance almost feeling a part. My friend and wife gave me some good grief when I swam back but it was worth the jump. P.S. I have also heard the slapping of the tails at night at the bottom of Makuu HPP. Thanks again in reminding me how small I really am. happy new year.

Messages In This Thread
Pec slapping at Kaloli Point - by TomK - 12-29-2013, 04:06 PM
RE: Pec slapping at Kaloli Point - by TomK - 12-29-2013, 04:46 PM
RE: Pec slapping at Kaloli Point - by AKpilot - 12-30-2013, 03:52 AM
RE: Pec slapping at Kaloli Point - by TomK - 12-30-2013, 05:03 PM
RE: Pec slapping at Kaloli Point - by AKpilot - 12-30-2013, 05:22 PM
RE: Pec slapping at Kaloli Point - by AKpilot - 12-30-2013, 06:17 PM
RE: Pec slapping at Kaloli Point - by TomK - 12-30-2013, 06:36 PM
RE: Pec slapping at Kaloli Point - by kipannette - 01-01-2014, 09:34 AM
RE: Pec slapping at Kaloli Point - by Guest - 01-01-2014, 11:19 AM