Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why farmers sued the county about ANTI GMO bill
quote:
Originally posted by pahoated

quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa
I'll ask, once more, why we're wasting valuable time and effort fighting this at the County level when any GMO regulations are (or will soon be) pre-empted by State and/or Federal laws, especially where County has demonstrated their willingness to cede local control.

There has to be litigation at the local level to raise it to the federal and state level. Right now, it's doubtful the FDA has even heard of the Hawaii county ban. That is kind of strange right there, other states are getting headlines for GMO label votes, and nobody even whispers that Hawaii county has an outright ban.

As for the corn being modified to feed animals, cows have seven stomachs and we drink their babies' milk. Interesting thing about cow milk, up until 7,000 years ago, adult humans were unable to drink cow milk because there was no enzyme to process lactose. Somewhere around 7,000 years ago, coinciding with the invention of agriculture, a genetic mutation occurred in humans in multiple locations around the planet so that most adults could drink cow's milk. This genetic mutation is being attributed to the invention of agriculture and domestication of the cow. About 1/3 of humans don't have this genetic mutation and they are known as lactose intolerant.

Nature is conducting genetic modification all the time, and most of the modifications are harmful to the being, resulting in defects or death. Every once in awhile, the genetic modification is successful and passed on to future generations.

"This island Hawaii on this island Earth"

Yes this is how nature works outside the lab but your example is flawed because it's not even legal to drink raw milk thus it must be processed in order for us to digest it with out risking disease. Even still science has shown that dairy is linked to high rates of cancer because humans weren't meant to consume cows milk. Nations that consume little to no dairy have little to no reports of breast cancer in particular. Partly this has to do with the fact that cows milk and the sugars and fats associated with it create high acidity levels in the body and anerobic environments in the human biology which allows cancer cells to thrive. Now this doesn't mean I am anti milk I love to eat good cheeses but I do believe that the ingredient labels should be in place to let people know that there is dairy in certain foods and not in others because I understand why people would like to avoid dairy, cancer sucks.

Here is a recent article to how that I am not pulling this out of my rear end:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/...ancer.html

There are more articles out there if you care to do research. Remember when cigarettes didn't have labels and airplanes had smoking sections? The debates probably sounded similar to the GMO debate.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why farmers sued the county about ANTI GMO bill - by Derrick Barnicoat - 06-19-2014, 01:03 PM