Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What have we learned from this storm. (Iselle)
quote:
Originally posted by oink

A lot of suggestions to go solar. I have no experience with solar but I would think it would be very susceptible to flying debris or the panels themselves going airborne. You don't get much flying stuff with a cat 1 but starting with upper range cat 2s stuff starts going airborne. How do you protect them in that scenario? Is it reasonable to take them down and store them? I have seen plenty solar water heaters blown off roofs. Even with solar I think I'd still want a generator as they're not likely to blow away. Start getting into cat 4s and I'm thinking the only concern is going to be having a good safe room. Everything else will be irrelevant. I know my house (CBS) will survive a cat 3 but not without damage. Of course all bets are off if an embedded tornado is encountered and they are common.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.

If your solar panels are installed by a professional they are rated to stay put in winds up to 100 mph or 150 mph, something along those lines. At any rate they will stay put and if a tree falls and smashes them it was going to smash your roof anyway. You are supposed to cut back any trees that lay shadows across the panels anyway so there should be no reason for a large tree to be close to the house if you have your panels setup right.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What have we learned from this storm. (Iselle) - by missydog1 - 08-11-2014, 10:19 AM
RE: What have we learned from this storm. (Iselle) - by Guest - 08-11-2014, 10:30 AM
RE: What have we learned from this storm. (Iselle) - by missydog1 - 08-11-2014, 10:32 AM
RE: What have we learned from this storm. (Iselle) - by missydog1 - 08-11-2014, 12:20 PM
RE: What have we learned from this storm. (Iselle) - by Derrick Barnicoat - 08-12-2014, 01:14 AM
RE: What have we learned from this storm. (Iselle) - by Guest - 08-14-2014, 02:21 PM
RE: What have we learned from this storm. (Iselle) - by missydog1 - 08-17-2014, 11:57 AM
RE: What have we learned from this storm. (Iselle) - by Guest - 08-29-2014, 11:41 AM