Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power,internet, and bringing a job with you
Internet access is a big issue here. The problem with most cell service solutions is the cap they put on a monthly plan. Satellite services have such a lag that VPN and teleconferencing are often impossible. The line-of-sight services are good for those who can get them, but you've always got that middleman handling your last mile.

I've been running my consulting business from the Big Island for nearly 5 years now, with only mainland clients, but I had to bite the bullet finally and get a business DSL account from Hawaiian Telcom (apparently plenty of ports for those and no waiting list) because no cable is available at our location. I considered renting office space in Pahoa or Keaau to solve this problem at one point, but my wife likes it that I'm "around" so we do it this way. My DSL is great though. HT came and installed a switch right inside my house, and I pay for 3Mbps up and down and nobody else is on "my" switch. Their service guys are awesome too. I've got my guy's cell phone number. He says just call him when I have a problem, instead of going through the robot menus. Costs a lot tho.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Power,internet, and bringing a job with you - by DaVinci - 08-14-2014, 10:26 AM