Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving companies & shipping vs starting over
I should have added, never buy a container that has been repainted. Most containers are made out of corten steel (also known as weathering steel) and the "rusty" look is the patina on the steel, which actually protects the steel underneath it from rusting. If you remove the patina, or tamper with it's chemistry by putting paint over it, it will greatly reduce the life of the container. In other words, it's supposed to look "rusty". There is an outfit on Honolulu who claims to know how repaint them properly by stripping off all the "rust" (patina) and using special paint, and I know somebody who bought one. The paint eventually flaked off and the container leaks. If you want a container that looks new, buy a new container. Kimo did have some of the one-trippers in stock when I was over there. They are usually made in China, and I don't know the quality of the steel. A 20 year old container made in the USA may last longer than a new one? Only time will tell.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Moving companies & shipping vs starting over - by missydog1 - 08-19-2014, 01:21 PM
RE: Moving companies & shipping vs starting over - by missydog1 - 08-19-2014, 04:48 PM
RE: Moving companies & shipping vs starting over - by Guest - 08-20-2014, 11:07 AM
RE: Moving companies & shipping vs starting over - by Guest - 08-20-2014, 01:21 PM
RE: Moving companies & shipping vs starting over - by terracore - 08-22-2014, 03:05 AM