Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone been keeping track of the lava flow?
quote:
Originally posted by birchl

ok. then back to the lava flow.....what is the prediction here? is it going to 'cut off pahoa'? flow into HPP? or ??? even the aerial photos don't really show me how close they are to anything. i live on F&2 HA and see the glow but i am under the impression that i am uphill from it. who is in its way?

I think the most likely scenario is that this flow dries up before it causes any havoc, but it's quite unpredictable. If you look up some of the old stories about Pele, she comes across as very easy to cross and quick to anger, which I think is to show how unpredictable the volcano can be.

If this flow continues and if it continues following the crack, it should eventually cross somewhere along the Pahoa-Kalapana road - whether under ground in an old lava tube or on the surface is another question.

Mimosa gave a good description of the area in a previous post in this thread that I think is well worth a read and thought. Also check the maps from the USGS as they have elevation contour lines that can be somewhat instructive (but only if you zoom in on the picture to full size)
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike

Messages In This Thread
RE: Has anyone been keeping track of the lava flow? - by missydog1 - 08-18-2014, 08:50 AM
RE: Has anyone been keeping track of the lava flow? - by Guest - 08-23-2014, 06:09 AM
RE: Has anyone been keeping track of the lava flow? - by Guest - 08-23-2014, 07:01 AM
RE: Has anyone been keeping track of the lava flow? - by Guest - 08-23-2014, 10:14 AM
RE: Has anyone been keeping track of the lava flow? - by Guest - 08-23-2014, 11:56 AM
RE: Has anyone been keeping track of the lava flow? - by VancouverIslander - 08-24-2014, 05:15 AM
RE: Has anyone been keeping track of the lava flow? - by missydog1 - 08-24-2014, 01:53 PM
RE: Has anyone been keeping track of the lava flow? - by Guest - 08-26-2014, 06:56 AM
RE: Has anyone been keeping track of the lava flow? - by Guest - 08-26-2014, 07:03 AM
RE: Has anyone been keeping track of the lava flow? - by Guest - 08-26-2014, 10:10 AM