Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Native Hawaiians Have A Word With DHHL
Native Hawaiians confronted the Hawaiian Homes Commission at a meeting Monday. Many of the 3 minute testimonies (unlike the seemingly astronomical time limit allowed at the TMT hearings) spoke about the land DHHL is not allocating for homesteads, although some commented about the land that was exchanged with the state:

“Beneficiaries, do we support the transfer of any land from the Hawaiian Home Lands trust to the State of Hawai#699;i?” Wilson asked the crowd after his testimony time ran out and his microphone was cut off. The answer from the crowd was a thunderous “no”.
https://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2019/...n-in-hilo/

Another petitioner was upset that hunting is now restricted on Mauna Kea, although maybe he should talk with protestors at Mauna Kea Access Road about that rather than DHHL:

“As one kanaka now, we no can even go up to the mountain for even go provide for our #699;ohana, for put kaukau on a table,” said hunter Scott Spencer. “We cannot. I cannot. I tried. I cannot.”

As noted above, DHHL reps were quite strict about enforcing the 3 minute time limit for testimony, even cutting off the microphone on some speakers. It's too bad they don't follow their own mandate which requires homesteads should be distributed as quickly as possible with that same diligence and tenacity.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves

Messages In This Thread
Native Hawaiians Have A Word With DHHL - by HereOnThePrimalEdge - 10-22-2019, 06:40 AM