Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Can Puna grow, find ways to cater to tourism?
Pander, you took the words out of my mouth. I guess "low wages" is a relative term. $15/hour is better than McDonald's for sure, but I wonder if that's the average wage, or just the wage paid to unionized hotel employees? Either way, I don't foresee a major hotel building in Pahoa so a moot point perhaps? I know bilingual people on island getting $12/hour as tour guides. This is not at all a living wage, even though it's clearly a needed skill. That's why going independent is more lucrative if you can find a niche to fill.

I think development CAN happen in a good way, but also think that it probably won't. (For an explanation, see all of kalakoa's posts since the beginning of time.)

Like snorkle, I'd much prefer to see the dollars spread out, flowing into local B&Bs, vacation rentals, restaurants, Uncle Roberts, etc..
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius

Messages In This Thread
How Can Puna grow, find ways to cater to tourism? - by Guest - 02-06-2015, 08:52 PM
RE: How Can Puna grow, find ways to cater to tourism? - by punafish - 02-08-2015, 05:47 AM