Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Can Puna grow, find ways to cater to tourism?
Originally posted by dakine
I have always thought what we need in East Hawaii is a high tech campus, such as a branch of Google, Apple, or (God forbid) MS. High tech, think programmers and designers, not manufacturing, pays very well, and requires intelligent people. And, once established I would imagine a co-partnership with the local schools and UH Hilo, and a strong computer science program. In other words a chance for a real higher education for local kids.

Must be a new year, as I'm agreeing a lot with dakine lately, although I don't think a tech campus is a workable idea (yet) for these reasons.
1) Hilo may not offer much appeal to a large number of often-urbanite technology workers. There are the odd ducks like dakine, myself, and others perhaps that value the nature/tech dichotomy, but probably not enough to sustain a whole campus.
2) Do you/we really want the thousands of people to move here needed to help create the kind of company/educational partnerships discussed?

Instead, it may be better to grow the change from the bottom up by directly supporting STEM (Science Technology Engineering Math) initiatives in our local schools. STEM classes can range from college-prep work like AP science or computer programming to vocational skills like engine repair and electrical for those getting a job right after high school.

Can help support STEM in the schools by:
- Asking staff about STEM classes and encouraging kids to enroll
- Speaking to representatives about funding for STEM initiatives
- Volunteering time to give lectures about your tech profession or interests
- Help run an after school club or program on robotics, computers, astronomy, geology, machining, circuits, CAD, digital animation, etc...

This helps provide the skills needed and diversifies the possible professions and local start-ups. If a major tech company then wants to build a campus and provide jobs to tap the local skill sets, they would be very welcome IMHO.

Sorry if a bit off topic gypsy69 - just know directly the benefits of a tech job that allows living here but working for mainland companies. Tourism is welcome and will continue to be a major part of the local economy IMO, just looking at other ways to bring in jobs and educational opportunities.

Messages In This Thread
How Can Puna grow, find ways to cater to tourism? - by Guest - 02-06-2015, 08:52 PM
RE: How Can Puna grow, find ways to cater to tourism? - by ironyak - 02-08-2015, 09:31 PM