Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Can Puna grow, find ways to cater to tourism?
quote:
Originally posted by randomq

Another thing I see missing from Hawaii in general is boating. Why doesn't Puna embrace all the luxury yachts, divers, sports fishermen, and round-the-world sailors with some (floating?) docks and marinas? One of the most beautiful things I've ever seen is St Thomas' bay, full of hundreds of sailboats and yachts. All those people could be paying a modest fee for mooring, while dining, fueling up, and purchasing provisions from Puna businesses. Buying rides from local residents via some local equivalent of uber or lyft. Maybe even providing alternate means of travel to and from the islands.

Random speaking as the owner of a yacht I can attest. Any marina in Hawaii would be packed instantly. The problem is Puna's coast line drops off so fast that building a break wall isn't feasible. Accept in Kapoho and that would not be practical since everyone would rather preserve tidal pools. Only very large boats could safely moor and take waves on an average day. I have seen near 30-40 ft waves pound homes in Kehena Beach. Look how high the homes are up the cliff. Waves have hit deck leveks

Former Puna Beach Resident
Now sailing in SE Asia
HOT BuOYS Sailing

Messages In This Thread
How Can Puna grow, find ways to cater to tourism? - by Guest - 02-06-2015, 08:52 PM
RE: How Can Puna grow, find ways to cater to tourism? - by pbmaise - 02-10-2015, 03:03 PM