Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Silver Lining in the COVID-19 Outbreak
Yes, I know the COVID-19 flu is bad.
Yes, there are sick people and some die.

But, hear me out. There is a so far small but unintended consequence in our reaction and response to the crisis. Fossil fuel consumption is down. CO2 output has dropped. Travel, especially air travel has declined. Consumption of products with disposable income is down. We're more focused on the essential, and on items necessary in our daily lives.

Here's one example of how humans have reduced pollution in the last month, NO2 output as measured by a NASA satellite (sorry, Pahoa NO2 output map N/A):
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51691967

The COVID-19 crisis has finally caused humanity to reduce it's carbon footprint. With the fear of imminent death we have unwittingly addressed the fear of an indefinite and distant death. My question is, how many of you have lowered your spending, your driving, your purchase of products other than TP and hand sanitizer?

It's too soon for CO2 measurements at the Mauna Loa Observatory to reflect the change, but it will be interesting to see if that happens. Most likely it will depend on the duration of COVID-19 affects around the world.

I think for most of us in Puna, we have a rural, fairly low impact lifestyle to begin with, so changes may be small. If you have adjusted your lifestyle, do you think you'll continue after COVID-19 has run it's course? Will it depend on whether or not reduced pollution measurements show a positive effect across the planet?

Over the last month I've expanded my garden. I've cut back on the imported vegetables I bought in the past, and replaced them in my diet with what grows best during this cool wet season; red kale, tatsoi, chard, basil, turnips, green onions...
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves

Messages In This Thread
The Silver Lining in the COVID-19 Outbreak - by HereOnThePrimalEdge - 03-06-2020, 08:27 AM
RE: The Silver Lining in the COVID-19 Outbreak - by Guest - 03-06-2020, 01:05 PM
RE: The Silver Lining in the COVID-19 Outbreak - by Guest - 03-11-2020, 01:38 PM