Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Coqui's are coming! WHAT to do?
Aloha, Mella!

I've been reading and ruminating about this frog situation. It's ironic that the Big Island is overrun with the critters while I read that frogs are going extinct and are the canary in the coalmine in terms of ecological and environmental health of the earth.

I am concerned about spraying--does the citric acid spray have any drawbacks? Would spraying from the air harm humans?

I have tree frogs that I love--they often live in plants, chaise longues or trees that I have on my deck. I found one living in my laundry room in a roll of roofing paper--it had turned black to match the paper. They are amazing little creatures. I used to have more of them, but garter snakes moved in and have more than controlled the population--they nearly wiped them out completely. Garter snakes are lovely little creatures totally harmless and they stay fairly small so they are not alarming. Very shy. They also eat mice, etc. My friend says that they won't survive on the BI due to the mongoose.

I'm very aware of the problems that well-meaning people have introduced to the islands--like the mongoose killing the native birds. A natural predator would really help do the job, though.

Thanks for that cool link.

april
april

Messages In This Thread
The Coqui's are coming! WHAT to do? - by mella l - 07-15-2005, 06:19 AM
RE: The Coqui's are coming! WHAT to do? - by aprild - 07-15-2005, 09:05 AM
RE: The Coqui's are coming! WHAT to do? - by ika - 07-21-2005, 10:42 PM