Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Coqui's are coming! WHAT to do?
For those of you in Eden Roc, there is a group of energetic persons in your neighborhood who are getting prepared to treat coqui sites, and the could use your help. Talk to Rachael Roditti, Bill Christi, Tom Brandt, or Sky Mullins, or Tim (with the red cinder driveway). I was there last night at the corner of Ohi`a and Nene (Rd 2?) answering questions and demonstrating locating and hand capture techniques.

About County Sprayers: The county purchased a bunch of drench rigs, and they are scattered around the island at different sites. They put them where people want them, where there are people willing to do the work. I recommended to the group last night that you folks put in your call to the mayor's office to get yourself a drench rig for Eden Roc. They are planning to buy 400 gallon tanks and assorted accessories, and I recommended to the Mayor's office already, that Eden Roc needs one.

I have been suppressing the spread of coqui in upper Puna for about 5 years now, along with the seasonal Hawaii Volcanoe's part time staff. I can tell you from experience that if you have just one frog or just a few, that you should really go and catch it immediately. There are already enough places in your neighborhood that need drenching, and if everyone catches isolated individual frogs where ever, when ever they are heard, that will save tons of time, money and future frustration .

Until the scientists find a biological solution to this problem, it will be ongoing and more challenging every year. You will notice though that they get a little quieter up here in the winter and during drought. (Some reprieve)

Good luck,
Kim

www.hismec.org

Messages In This Thread
The Coqui's are coming! WHAT to do? - by mella l - 07-15-2005, 06:19 AM
RE: The Coqui's are coming! WHAT to do? - by ika - 07-21-2005, 10:42 PM
RE: The Coqui's are coming! WHAT to do? - by kimtavares - 07-31-2005, 12:46 AM