Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A glimpse into the past: MK astronomy
Personally, I think that's a silly and overreaching claim and likely a journalist just finding something to say
Finding the balance between cultural rights, and science is forthcoming

I agree the closing statement was a stretch, but I don't believe it was meant to be taken literally. I thought it was a writer waxing poetic in an attempt to create a narrative pulling together disparate occurrences.

When we look at the many astronomical discoveries we've made in the last few centuries, it does leave you with a sense of awe, and wonder. New planets, photographic visions of the distant past, perhaps not exactly sacred in the religious sense, but metaphorically as a universe larger than ourselves has been revealed.

ophikao makes a good point too. We can find comparisons between the Portuguese site with Mauna Kea, how they both shared the study of the heavens and the uniquely human characteristic of assembling a resting place for our dead, sometimes even with great difficulty in a remote location. As our history shows, there are instances where we have a shared purpose, or an overlap of practices, and the key is the balance between them.

“There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.”
-Joseph Brodsky
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves

Messages In This Thread
A glimpse into the past: MK astronomy - by TomK - 06-27-2016, 04:10 PM
RE: A glimpse into the past: MK astronomy - by HereOnThePrimalEdge - 07-04-2016, 03:44 AM
RE: A glimpse into the past: MK astronomy - by Guest - 07-17-2016, 06:35 AM