Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DLNR cat killing apparently to ramp up on Kauai
Perhaps could set it up in part of the Zoo. But probably not.

TNR people want more latitude than this. Aside from petting zoos inside zoos (and they usually have an attendant standing by) you don't touch the animals. Zoos have hours and closed days.

This place has to be run by the TNR people. They might want 50-80 cats. Probably want access 16 hours day. If they do not have something like this, there will be an endless TNR sites cropping up. These folks are pretty fanatical.

My comment: Many TNR people are not happy with just the one or two cats (maybe more) they have at home. They want to engage with dozens of cats every day.

Response: This is an incorrect assumption. All you have to do is talk to some of them and you'll realize they just don't want to see them starving.

Disagree. And I did take the care to say "many," not all. TNRs are composed of a broad range of people who have heavy emotional involvement with cats. Some are cat hoarders who are no longer allowed to keep a large number of cats at home. It is not just preventing animals from starving. If it was, TNRs would just put the food down and walk away. (I know some of these folks from my regular walks.)

TNRs often remain at the sites for a long time, engaging with the animals. Naming them. Discussing with other TNRs on site the attributes of each cat. The people on Kauai that the article on top profiled are a good example. A quote from Basil Scott on Kauai: “The alternative is killing cats, and that will build resentment and anger on this island. Believe me, there’s a bunch of junkyard dogs out there ready to pounce. We will bare our fangs and make life very difficult for them. My side is famous for that.”

Yes indeed it is.

Rainbow Friends in Mt. View - good idea. IMO we will need more of these around the state.

Messages In This Thread
RE: DLNR cat killing apparently to ramp up on Kauai - by MarkD - 07-30-2017, 10:10 AM