Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rain, Mauna Kea, Skiing, and Altitude Sickness
Altitude sickness -- even elite athletes can get it by going to high elevations too quickly. Pausing for an hour on the way up is really not enough for someone sensitive to altitude, but if you only stay a short time, it's probably okay. To truly acclimate to very high altitudes takes many days, a big part of the reason high altitude hikers take their time on the way up a mountain. Your body has to make lots of new red blood cells to effectively carry oxygen throughout your body in the thinner air (oversimplified explanation) and that takes time. To assist the body in the effort, drink plenty of liquids.

I have taken Diamox and it gave me the weirdest dreams and scariest nightmares. It would be unusual to take the drug for a one-day trip up a mountain because you have to take it for a few days in advance. If you are super sensitive to elevation and you know it, consult your physician before venturing to great heights. The effects can be fatal. I had a brush with high altitude cerebral edema at 19,000+ ft. and would not want to repeat it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rain, Mauna Kea, Skiing, and Altitude Sickness - by Guest - 11-24-2017, 08:59 PM
RE: Rain, Mauna Kea, Skiing, and Altitude Sickness - by KiminPL - 11-30-2017, 09:41 AM