Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coral Bleaching - Climate Change - Hawaii
Hopefully we can get some GMO coral
Seriously, that's not a bad idea.

Yes, it's an excellent idea.
For the moment researchers are working with selective mating, using coral varieties they've identified as having some heat resistance. But the GMO approach is one of their emergency measures should water temperature changes become more rapid, or the selective mating technique not respond as quickly as necessary:

Van Oppen says they’re even “playing around a bit” with trying to intentionally splice in specific gene variants to make genetically modified (GM) corals designed to cope with heat or acid. “But,” she quickly adds, “that’s when you start to hear a lot of resistance.

Van Oppen predicts that resistance to these projects will fade as time passes and the plight of corals gets worse. “I presented these ideas to the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority late last year,” says van Oppen. “They were quite excited about developing these technologies ‘just in case’.”

http://e360.yale.edu/features/as_ocean_w...per_corals
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves

Messages In This Thread
RE: Coral Bleaching - Climate Change - Hawaii - by HereOnThePrimalEdge - 01-27-2018, 03:56 AM