Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puna traffic cams no longer available?
Put up an actual idea or anything productive for once.

The biggest problem facing this County is that it's nearly impossible to retrofit a lack of civic planning.

Start with "one size does not fit all". When surveying the populace to determine "growth posture", determine that need/desire on subdivision boundaries if not smaller. Don't limit my subdivision to the choices made by another subdivision.

When producing these endless studies and master plans, and putting issues up for vote by the public, clearly state the potential impact of alternatives. It's not enough to say "no development near my house", people must also agree that "we accept 2-hour drives to Hilo".

PMAR is only relevant as a means to "drive to Hilo for everything" -- which would be less important if we had the "neighborhood commercial" zoning suggested by the PCDP. (When the PCDP is viewed as "placating the public with the appearance of a decision" instead of an actual plan, the document makes more sense.)

Instead of a mass transit system that facilitates "going to Hilo", why not bring Hilo services to the people? Think "mobile tax office" making the rounds, like a bookmobile, stopping by the various subdivisions on a regular schedule.

If our elected "leaders" are unable/unwilling to make any substantive decision because this is political suicide ... then they're not qualified to hold office. I did not vote to have these people installed so they could further their poilitical careers; we need them to make actual decisions and address real problems.

The "Mass Transit Master Plan" suggests that a GET increase would generate $20-30M in revenue that could be used to buy more buses and hire more staff and build a baseyard in Kona -- the idea being that maybe if we spend enough, we will lose less than $12 per passenger. The real problem is that mass transit only works well in high-density areas, which this county is not. Many people have to ride the bus from Puna (land of cheap housing) to Kona (good-paying hotel jobs), and I suspect that most of them would rather do something else for 4 hours a day. The resorts should be required to implement affordable worker housing, or they should be helping to directly subdidize the bus system rather than leave it to the taxpayers to cover the cost of long commutes for their workers.

At a cost of $1M/lane-mile, $20-30M/year GET revenue would pay for more lanes on 130 pretty quick. Problem is, widening the highway isn't enough, traffic flow will still be choked at any intersection, even with more traffic lights. Maybe if people didn't have to drive to Hilo for everything...

If I were elected mayor, yes, I would force (both of) the PMAR issue without regard for the political consequences. While it is unlikely that either PMAR would actually be built, there might be some near-term concessions, maybe even enough to improve the quality of life.

The job of a politician is politics, not productivity. Electing more politicians won't make any difference.

Messages In This Thread
Puna traffic cams no longer available? - by TomK - 01-24-2018, 09:41 PM
RE: Puna traffic cams no longer available? - by kalakoa - 01-27-2018, 04:34 AM