Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is native Hawaiian view on eating turtle?
I raised same topic on reddit Hawaii. Here is a good post from someone from Maui:

"Protected but with very strictly limited harvesting for cultural purposes.

Program based instead of just buying a permit.

Required classes on traditional Hawaiian fishing practices with focus on methods for capturing honu out at sea and preparation of the carcass for consumption.

Additional lectures on marine conservation practices, honu biology, identification of ideal specimens for capture and consumption, and the importance of protecting the larger honu population for future generations to enjoy.

Exam to demonstrate physical aptitude for traditional fishing methods.

Final project is going out in a canoe and catching a honu the old-fashioned way then preparing it for dinner all while under the oversight of relevant instructors/officials/cultural practitioners. Family and friends are invited to spectate and eat.

You get to do it one time, at least at first. Possible expansion if population growth is strong enough but any permits would be single use and still require successful completion of the program.

No walking up to one on the beach and flipping it over. You wanna eat, you gotta out and work for it.

Eggs are protected, no exceptions. First violation, dominant hand is severed. Second violation, you get tossed off the pali.

At least that's how I would have it done, maybe through UH or something."

- - - -

"Yeah, Mark should ask some native Hawaiians."

That was part of my intention in posting this, being aware that contributions by native Hawaiians on Punatalk are pretty slim.....

Messages In This Thread
RE: What is native Hawaiian view on eating turtle? - by Guest - 05-10-2018, 11:18 AM
RE: What is native Hawaiian view on eating turtle? - by MarkD - 05-11-2018, 05:25 AM