Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Great Crack: Photos and information wanted.
The first reference to the Great Crack was in 1823 and this was along the Puna Trail.

pbmaise -
I think we are running into a problem here with names and terminology. If you refer to the crack in your blog as The Great Crack almost everyone will assume you mean The Great Crack or Hilina Slump in Ka'u. Google search the terms and you'll find pages of information on The Great Crack in Ka'u and nothing on a crack in Puna.

The article you reference:
https://www.hawaii247.com/2014/07/18/vol...tune-time/
mentions a Great Crack near Puna Trail crossing. I believe this may refer to the westernmost end of the Puna Trail where it can connect to the Hilina Pali Trail on short side trails - - that location is much closer to The Great Crack, and not the Puna crack you describe.

You may wish to find the real name for the crack in Puna, perhaps on older maps, or at least refrain from calling it The Great Crack in order to avoid confusion.

Portion of Hawaii’s drinking water that comes from underground wells : 9/10
Gallons of raw sewage that leak into the ground from Hawaii cesspools each day : 53,000,000 - Harper's Index
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Great Crack: Photos and information wanted. - by HereOnThePrimalEdge - 05-24-2018, 03:35 AM