Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Great Crack: Photos and information wanted.
Thanks Glinda for the reference material to read.

Roger Denlinger does indeed map the crack of interest and calls it a listic fault and part of the "Hilina Fault System".

The whole point of my blog is to examine the question if lava incursion is happening into this fault as predicted by Thomas R. Walter et al in there paper. Gravitational spreading and formation of new rift zones on overlapping volcanoes. file:///C:/Users/j16mobile/Documents/gaysail/Blogs/Hawaii/Seismographs/pp1801_Chap4_Denlinger.pdf

I updated the page to eliminate the term "Great Crack". Further I added more description as to what a listic fault looks like and a slump.

One thing I noticed is that the crack in question stopped the lava flow from Pu'u O'o. Well, it stopped a section of the lava flow and it is obvious that lava must have poured into the crack.

terracore Thanks for the reference to the koa'e fault. That is to the North and West of this area. It is closer to the summit and descibed as being extremely seismically active and explains why so many earthquakes are just South of the Summit.

Former Puna Beach Resident
Now sailing in SE Asia
HOT BuOYS Sailing
Former Puna Beach Resident
Now sailing in SE Asia
HOT BuOYS Sailing

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Great Crack: Photos and information wanted. - by pbmaise - 05-24-2018, 01:41 PM