Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The CoH has to rethink zoning and building codes
Back in 1970 Alicia Bay Laurel (still a Big Island resident?) wrote the book "Living on the Earth":

...she manages to cover every single aspect of survival, starting with camping, to "simple shelters"
... It tells you what you want to know. About cooking, carpentry, heat, cold, clothing and sewing, gardening, music, yoga, astrology, wood, water, the heavens, crafts, art, life, and even Death. How to waterproof your boots, turn an Army blanket into a Moroccan-style djilleva, or a long robe. How to bake bread, of course, but also how to make soap, hammocks, pillows, sandals, flutes, broccoli, mayonnaise and Space.

http://www.aliciab4.com/updates/book.htm

Maybe Alicia could change the name of her book from "Living on the Earth" to "Puna Building Code Guidebook for Hawaii County."

I alternate between thinking of the planet as home — dear and familiar stone hearth and garden — and as a hard land of exile in which we are all sojourners. Today I favor the latter view. The word “sojourner”... invokes a nomadic people’s sense of vagrancy, a praying people’s knowledge of estrangement, a thinking people’s intuition of sharp loss: “For we are strangers before thee, and sojourners, as were all our fathers: our days on the earth are as a shadow, and there is none abiding.” - Annie Dillard
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves

Messages In This Thread
RE: The CoH has to rethink zoning and building codes - by HereOnThePrimalEdge - 06-07-2018, 07:44 AM