Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Educating Children/ Teachers needed
Jared - you make some thought provoking statements.

I totally agree this cost break out should indeed be public knowledge and ALWAYS available. Several years ago, someone was able to get this break out for one of the school districts near Atlanta (Gwinnett County if memory serves). Not a hyprothetical, but actual breakout. It proved to be rather embrassing to see how little went to direct student-teacher-classroom and how the majority went for administration and non teaching type positions.

I know "everyone" decries the statewide DOE and wish for local control, but I've never seen anyone acknowledge the costs of such a system. First, the DOE won't go away, even if augmented by local control, so little or no savings to be gained. Each and every local unit will become a big budget item - think local superintendent, staff, facility - and will grow over time. Additionally, these local units will become the breeding grounds for local politicians either running for school broad or promising control of the now local office and how they can do better. Having grown up in a local "town" situation, then experiencing School Administrative Districts and other large type units, I found great appreciation for the Department of Defense school system which could be likened to the statewide system minus 95% of the politics. It had benefits as you describe, like standard cirriculum/books.

Of course, the above just reflect my humble opinions Smile

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident

Messages In This Thread
Educating Children/ Teachers needed - by mella l - 09-09-2006, 11:19 PM
RE: Educating Children/ Teachers needed - by David M - 09-13-2006, 03:32 PM
RE: Educating Children/ Teachers needed - by LeeE - 07-03-2007, 03:39 AM