Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelves at Costco, Target, Walmart, etc. lately?
Today, I drove for the first time in 20 days. I ran out of coffee creamer this morning and with The Peak approaching it seemed as good a time as any to load up the van for a trip to Hilo. I brought 4 water bottles for a fill up at the Keaau Transfer Station, three insulated coolers and my trusty 7 foot pitchfork just in case someone didn’t follow proper COVID-19 protocols for Thursday, April 9th. I was pleasantly surprised however, everyone observed social distancing, interactions were friendly, and all waited patiently in the outdoor lines at stores with limits placed on the number of shoppers allowed inside at one time. It’s amazing how quickly we humans adapt to new behaviors.

My first stop, the bank. I deposited money in Hilo, the teller assisted me on Oahu. My transaction was pleasant and relatively easy, but the person at the other Droid Teller Unit had problems. At one point he broke down in a combination of sobbing and screaming rage. “All I want is to withdraw $400!” I didn’t think it wise for him to say it so loudly, with Social Action Enforcers carrying pitchforks around in their vehicles these days, as clearly, they could be used as a tool for good.... or for evil. And if that fellow had been robbed of his $400 after what he already went through, it’s hard to imagine the depths of despair he might have fallen into.

My next stop, Target. No baking yeast. OK, I can deal with that. We’ve all become bread bakers over the last month, at least those of us pleasantly surprised our bread machines still worked since the last time we used them 5 years ago. So I understood. But then things rapidly went downhill as I rounded the corner at the end of the produce / refrigerated juice aisle, where I met my Waterloo, the scene of my greatest defeat this day - - NO COFFEE CREAMER. What have we as a society become, barbarians? With extraordinary effort on my part, you will be pleased to know that I did not break down in a fit of combined sobbing and shrieking horror. The shoppers around me, had they known, would have been even happier.

Then at my last stop, spirits lifted as I stood in the 6 foot demarcated sidewalk area outside KTA. A man in a Loomis Armored uniform walked into the store wearing a large black mask. I wondered, was he a real Loomis employee, or some dude wearing the greatest holdup disguise ever?
“Hi, I’m here to pickup your money!”
“Here you go, see you tomorrow!”
I was only mildly disappointed when he returned to an authentic Loomis Armored Truck waiting on him, as thankfully it also meant there would be no getaway shootout in the parking lot this afternoon.

Farewell old Hilo town. I’ll see you again after The Peak, whenever it may be.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves

Messages In This Thread
RE: Shelves at Costco, Target, Walmart, etc. lately? - by taropatch - 03-31-2020, 12:26 PM
RE: Shelves at Costco, Target, Walmart, etc. lately? - by HereOnThePrimalEdge - 04-09-2020, 03:06 PM