Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State House and County Council Resolutions on LZ1 & LZ2 High Cost of Home Insurance
(09-10-2023, 08:24 PM)Punatang Wrote: "...you will get forclosed on."

You're right, I did not understand. I thought you were offering a solution to the prospect of a wave of foreclosures being discussed. Mahalo for clarifying.

Does anyone have any input on which subdivisions/areas might benefit from a re-evaluation of lava risk and which ones might be determined to be riskier than the current map allows?

I watched a video of the meeting at the Hawaiian Shores Community Center / Old Stables and really the only thing of interest IMHO in the whole event was when the USGS guy jumped up and interrupted the State Insurance Commissioner, just to make the point that the Lava Zone maps promulgated by the USGS are NOT risk maps.  It seemed clear to me that he felt strongly enough to break with polite decorum to exclaim that that map should not be used by insurance companies to assess risk.
Is the Hawai'i lava-flow hazard zone map still accurate?
Yes, the Map Showing Lava-Flow Hazards Zones on Hawai'i Island is still accurate. It was most recently revised in 1992.
The map is intended to communicate long-term lava-flow hazards, rather than short-term hazards, which can change daily during periods of eruptive activity.
Hazard assessments are based on the assumption that future eruptions will be similar to those in the past. For the past 200 years, eruptions of Kīlauea and Mauna Loa have occurred at their summits and/or along one of their rift zones—and future eruptions on these volcanoes are likely to occur in the same areas.

https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/hawaii-lava-fl...l-accurate

If insurance companies shouldn't use those maps to assess risk, how else could they?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Council Resolution on LZ1 & LZ2 High Cost of Home Insurance - by Durian Fiend - 09-13-2023, 02:56 PM