Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Council Resolution on LZ1 & LZ2 High Cost of Home Insurance
(12-29-2023, 10:22 PM)Obie Wrote: In the 2018 eruption all of the insurance companies eventually paid out under the fire insurance coverage. Took some lawyer action and pressure from the state but they paid.

You can get lava coverage but it would be crazy expensive. It would be handy if your home is surrounded by lava. There are people from 2018 who still own homes that are cut off from roads who this happened to.

Google my friend. " Deb Smith lava "

Some of the structures that were damaged by the Leilani eruption were 'earth movement', mainly fissures that opened up.  A lot of them were later taken by lava and most likely covered by insurance under 'fire' but the ones that didn't burn down had a difficult fight with them from the insurance companies.  I remember reading about it and saw some pictures but I never heard what happened to them.   Earth movement (landslides, earthquakes, fissures, etc) typically don't get insurance money unless an earth movement rider was purchased.   Technically, lava is earth movement, but since there is no way to prove or disprove the homeowner didn't have a space heater up against the curtains when the fire broke out, they pay.  It's not like they can do a fire investigation when the home remains are covered in 30 feet of rock.  

But to put things into perspective, how many insured homes on the BI have been destroyed by fire from lava?  I've heard figures ranging from several dozen, to several hundred, to over a thousand.  That's like a single weekend in California during wildfire season.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Council Resolution on LZ1 & LZ2 High Cost of Home Insurance - by terracore - 12-30-2023, 02:22 AM