Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
MK controversy thread
There's a new record for cycling up Mauna Kea.

"Larry Warbasse ended 2023 on a high – literally – after setting a new Strava KoM on one of the world's toughest climbs.

The Mauna Kea volcano climb in Hawaii is 89.5km long, beginning at sea-level and topping out at a dizzying 4,214 metres. Decathlon-AG2R La Mondiale rider Warbasse completed it in 4.59.04, taking just 15 seconds off the previous best time set by former pro rider Phil Gaimon in 2016.

"They are the only two riders to have broken the five-hour barrier for the climb, which averages 4.7%, with a final 21km averaging 9%. There is even a 10km dirt section that averages 12% and comes at the 3,000m altitude mark that Warbasse was forced to walk at times. No wonder this climb has the super-tough reputation it does."

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/larry...strava-kom"

I can't imagine how fit you have to be to do this and it is one hell of an achievement if it turns out to be true. On the other hand, I've watched some videos about other cyclists attempting this and they often call it "summiting" Mauna Kea. Does anyone know of anyone who has truly "summited" Mauna Kea? I've never seen anyone cycle up the trails to the summit.

Someone will likely call it desecration once they learn about this, but I'll leave that to others.

Messages In This Thread
MK controversy thread - by TomK - 12-21-2023, 07:36 AM
RE: Mauna Kea/Maunakea controversy thread - by TomK - 01-03-2024, 10:00 AM