Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
MK controversy thread
(01-05-2024, 07:47 PM)terracore Wrote: I hinted at something like this on a post a few years ago that I'm not going to look up.  The gist was that every mountain is sacred to somebody, so agreeing that there should be no telescopes on one of them means agreeing there should be no telescopes on any of them.  And sacred ground isn't limited to mountains, there should be no telescopes anywhere on Earth, and now, all the celestial bodies are being claimed as sacred and subject to "desecration".

The slope just gets more and more slippery.

Couldn't agree more. The moon is important for some, as is the sun. Others think the planets are important and have a big say in our lives. It doesn't matter if a new planet is discovered in the 1930s, they add that to their list of important planets, but it's no longer a planet because there are thousands if not millions of objects like it.

Maybe space itself is where people can go and do stuff although then I'm sure some creationists will say god made space so it's sacred as well. Even if it isn't, we'd have to launch a spacecraft from a place that's sacred to someone. OK, build a launch pad in the middle of the ocean. Oh no, water is sacred as well. And clouds. So that doesn't work either.

Messages In This Thread
MK controversy thread - by TomK - 12-21-2023, 07:36 AM
RE: Mauna Kea/Maunakea controversy thread - by TomK - 01-07-2024, 11:21 AM