Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jet flying over HPP for last half hour at 4:00 am
Blasting them back with bagpipe music would be my option. However, terracore makes an interesting point:

"It wouldn't be a heavy lift to get some firefighters or other rescue personnel licensed to fly drones capable of assisting to locate / illuminate people in rescue situations like this. There is probably grant money that would pay for the training and the drones."

We saw that during the 2018 eruption, a lost resident was rescued using a thermal IR imager to locate him and have him guided to safety. I can't remember if this was from a drone or a helicopter, I'd have to find the video again. Just a few people, perhaps those in the neighborhood watch groups, have drones equipped with IR cameras, which are relatively cheap these days and might be able to locate someone in the sea faster than the rescue services getting there. They work day or night and if a decent case was made, I'm sure some funding could be made available.

You'd need to be careful about the potential of the system being abused and given the history of disputes in Puna subdivisions we've seen here before, that might be a problem, but it would be a fast way of telling the rescue services exactly where to go.

PS. Found one of the vidoes, it was a drone with an IR thermal camera.

https://youtu.be/rL_ZNYRG2A8?si=W6vRFbKEc5UdEidR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jet flying over HPP for last half hour at 4:00 am - by TomK - 02-22-2024, 07:31 AM