Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
MK controversy thread
(03-09-2024, 08:33 AM)TomK Wrote: I've often wondered why no one seems to protest the US occupation of Kilauea and its surrounding lands. Surely a lot of that property is sacred? You have to pay the US government to visit there which you don't have to do on Mauna Kea.

Maybe it has something to do with the NPS @ Hawaii Volcanoes National Park actually having a dialog, and honoring, the Hawaiians and their culture. Whereas your boys don't even give them lip service. Certainly you all could use a trip up to watch some hula, go to one of their cultural festivals. Yeah, maybe go as far as to ask yourselves wtf you're missing? "I've often wondered.." yeah right! Give me a f*ckin' break.

Seriously man. If you were to explore just a bit of the history of the NPS and the Hawaiian culture, the fact that the entire park is a native plant sanctuary, the fact that the Hawaiian retain rights, such as their exclusive shoreline fishing rights within the park's boundaries, you'd find, even though there were missteps over the years, such as the park's proposed Kalapana Expansion in the '30s, the park's heart has been in the right place, and the Hawaiians know it. 

Whereas your's? Not so much.

Messages In This Thread
MK controversy thread - by TomK - 12-21-2023, 07:36 AM
RE: Mauna Kea/Maunakea controversy thread - by MyManao - 03-09-2024, 05:55 PM