Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
MK controversy thread
I was taught that we are all equal

Yeah, we all were raised on fairytales.. though I'd suggest, especially after witnessing how a defunct despot who has lots of money is treated far differently than you or I would be if we committed the crimes he has, that's only a soundbite.. it has nothing to do with reality.

I'd also suggest the Hawaiian people don't see it that way either. But, regardless, I think there is room in our laws to honor our transgressions and provide ways to make amends, and that the government is not immune to having to do so itself. 

Hawaii was stolen. It is not some far in the distant past relegated to history books stolen, but outright in your face we, Americans, are occupiers in a foreign land. And a reckoning is coming. Like it or not, this isn't Kansas. And we, white folks, are the aliens here. In other words, you were taught, I was taught, and still we're watching the Hawaiians become more and more empowered. And I look forward to the day they rise again as a sovereign nation. I think it's inevitable.

But hey, fairytales are fun. My kids loved them.. and then they grew up.

Messages In This Thread
MK controversy thread - by TomK - 12-21-2023, 07:36 AM
RE: Mauna Kea/Maunakea controversy thread - by MyManao - 03-12-2024, 12:37 AM