Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Hawaii Decarbonization Settlement 2045
Just a quick detour folks regarding nuclear power and safety:

Safety is strongly emphasized at every nuclear plant in the U.S. Before you are allowed access to a nuclear plant for work, you have a lot of required training and testing which is tailored to your particular job at the plant.

Anyone can challenge anyone else at the plant if they see someone performing a job in an unsafe manner, not wearing the proper protective gear, not wearing your ID badge, etc. There are daily bulletins notifying everyone if there were any injuries or incidents the previous day.

Several years ago I was working graveyard shift at a plant during a routine shutdown inspection. Earlier that day an electrician somehow opened the wrong electrical box to work on, and suffered severe electric shock when he attempted to work on the wrong component. Everyone except for essential personnel was sent home for the night to think about safety and what could be done at the plant to prevent any other safety incidents. Everyone spent 6 hours of their next 12 hour shift discussing safety.

I have been working in the nuclear industry since I was 20...40 years ago. I still work with some of the same folks from back then. As HJ pointed out, the plants are expensive to build. Do I think they are safe? Absolutely.
Wahine

Lead by example

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hawaii Decarbonization Settlement 2045 - by Wao nahele wahine - 06-23-2024, 05:25 AM