Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Hawaii Decarbonization Settlement 2045
Punatang - This post has been deleted.
I'm going to reply to the original gist of this comment, in order to clarify a few things, even if only for those who read the comment before it was deleted.

https://uhero.hawaii.edu/liquefied-natur...le-energy/
"Liquefied Natural Gas: A cleaner fossil fuel that’s cheaper than oil and pairs well with renewable energy - May 21, 2014"
Natural gas is ~95% methane so the terms LNG, natural gas, and methane are commonly used interchangeably in the literature. With that understanding, if you would like to point out what I got wrong in that paragraph, or elsewhere, I'm happy to discuss.

The fact is that the 2014 assessment is just of out of date and doesn't reflect the current knowledge or options available. It would be like basing your next car purchase on a Consumer Report from 2014 and wondering why you ended up with a very substandard option.

I'd be overjoyed if in a decade the kids were poking fun at my degrowth mantra because we managed to develop energy free from greenhouse gas emissions, such as large scale solar with storage, and everyone was living their best solarpunk lives. However, given our current emission projections and the Supreme Court continually weakening regulatory authority that doesn't look like where we're heading.

You seem to take offense that not all opinions, such as promoting the myth of clean coal, are given equal consideration, but there really is a distinction to be made between informed opinions based on evidence, and fact-free hot takes or biased propaganda. Both "it's getting kinda of warm out there" and "Democrats are a satanic cult" are opinions, but given the sources and evidence involved, hopefully you'd be inclined to believe one more than the other and grab the sunhat, and not the crucifix, on the way out the door.

Or as someone far smarter than me once said: “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’” - Isaac Asimov (1980)

HiloJulie - At any event, I wonder what America would become if everybody just said NO to following any and all rules!
Skipping past the slippery slope fallacy, it's probably worth highlighting that much of recognized progress has been tied to people breaking the rules, such a labor strikes winning the 8 hour work day and worker protections, numerous protests (both non-violent and violent) resulting in civil rights legislation, or actions to demand access to HIV treatments. Doing what's right often means not following the rules, and attempts to dismiss one's agency, responsibility, or available options when making decisions should be viewed with skepticism.

HiloJulie - As most trolls eventually succumb to their sheer and blind ignorance, they inevitably pull out the “Hitler/Nazi” reference just as your predictable “just following orders” link shows.
If I'm a troll, then I seem to be a unusually well-informed one, actually, bringing all sort of little gems and treasures for those reading along. Personally, I think name calling is just a way to deflect from having to engage in the substance of the topic, but whatevs, to each their own.

we need a whole new paradigm of thinking ... And live accordingly.
Unfortunately, as was pointed out with COVID, suggesting to people they take into account the health of their community while making choices often just breaks their brain and it's hard to get many to take any steps to protect other people's well-being, much less that of the the ecosystems that support all life, including theirs. Thankfully, places like Ecuador and New Zealand have helped establish Rights of nature law to protect their unique, irreplaceable, cherished, and revered natural features and locales. I expect we'll continue to see more of this legislation, including here in Hawaii.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hawaii Decarbonization Settlement 2045 - by ironyak - 06-30-2024, 07:22 PM